The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 04:47pm
Suppref

Just for conversation's sake, let's say with a few seconds left in a quarter, team A rebounds in the back court, turns a throws a desparation shot at A's basket. The shot is short, bounces on the floor, and goes through the basket. Do you count the goal? 2 or 3 points? What if the horn sounds after the bounce?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 05:08pm
In Memoriam

Cool I'll guess

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Just for conversation's sake, let's say with a few seconds left in a quarter, team A rebounds in the back court, turns a throws a desparation shot at A's basket. The shot is short, bounces on the floor, and goes through the basket. Do you count the goal? 2 or 3 points? What if the horn sounds after the bounce?
Suppref,
Two points before the horn cuz try ended when it hit the floor.
No points after horn cuz try ended when it hit the floor.
mick
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Easy one. The try ends when the ball hits the floor. If the horn sounds before the bounce, then the ball becomes dead when the try ends, that is, when the ball bounces (or when it is apparent that the ball isn't going in). If the horn sounds after the bounce, the ball becomes dead immediately. No points, then, in either case.

If the ball passes through the basket before the horn, count 2 points for team A, as the 3 point try ends when the ball hits the ground.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Isn't this in the case book?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 08:55am
Suppref

Maybe that's where I heard of it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Isn't this in the case book?
After further review!!! 5.1.1
It's still good to know that the paticipants of this forum are knowledgeable as well as helpful. I'm also impressed with Brain's photographic memory. How do you do it?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Lucky I guess.

Like I mentioned a while ago, when I am in the locker room before a game and before my partner shows up I just randomly pick a rule in the rule book or section in the case book to read. It keeps the dust off and gets me mentally ready for a game.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 10:23am
Suppref

Thumbs up I try to do the same thing

Quote:
Lucky I guess.

Like I mentioned a while ago, when I am in the locker room before a game and before my partner shows up I just randomly pick a rule in the rule book or section in the case book to read. It keeps the dust off and gets me mentally ready for a game.
I guess I missed that one this season. Although my vocation hours changed this season and I did not have as much time in the lockerroom as in years past. Thanks again
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I catch a certain amount of grief for it. There is that strain of official out there that thinks once you get to a certain point in your "career" your rule books should be in mint condition atthe end of the season. I have been told more than once that I must not be a good official because I have to read the rules.

I guess I don't see it that way because I choose to read them.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Smile I know what yer sayin'

Quote:
I catch a certain amount of grief for it. There is that strain of official out there that thinks once you get to a certain point in your "career" your rule books should be in mint condition atthe end of the season. I have been told more than once that I must not be a good official because I have to read the rules.

I guess I don't see it that way because I choose to read them.
Brian,
All my books are absolute rags.
mick
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
I have been told more than once that I must not be a good official because I have to read the rules.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. I don't know about you, but I think I could predict fairly close which "veteran" officials in my association rarely read, let alone study, the rules any more. Their ignorance either shows in what they say, or in what they DON'T say because they often don't want to risk an opinion lest they be wrong.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I agree. I had the one just this year, guy was a "vet" came in saw me reading and immediatly had one of those sour faces when he saw it was the rule book (This was also like 20 minutes before game time). He asked me if it was my first year, I said no my 11th and he drops "well if this is your 11th year and you still need to read that I guess I had better be the R".

Luckily the game was cake, but it was one of the worst pregames I had all year.

Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 11:43am
Suppref

Thumbs down Same sitch

Quote:
I agree. I had the one just this year, guy was a "vet" came in saw me reading and immediatly had one of those sour faces when he saw it was the rule book (This was also like 20 minutes before game time). He asked me if it was my first year, I said no my 11th and he drops "well if this is your 11th year and you still need to read that I guess I had better be the R".

Luckily the game was cake, but it was one of the worst pregames I had all year.

Brian the same thing happened to me, When he said he should be the R, I replied," Well the rules are fresh in my mind, maybe I should toss it" That was the worst pregame I ever had.
I learned not to say things like that to the vets. Now I feel when it's my turn to do the State Tourney finals, we'll be looking for someone to pick him up at the nursing home for the annual banquet