The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

We are having a major issue with the management company, Abbot Enterprises and Billy Packer of Catawba River Plantation Propery Owners Association. I would like to try and summarize a list of events that date back to April 2002.

April 2002- applied for a variance of the Catawba River Plantation covenants and restrictions. We wanted a 6 foot shadow box fence b/c of our dog, which is tall enough to jump a 4 foot fence (the allowed height in our covenants). At the time, no HOA existed so we had to apply for this variance to the Architectural Review Committee(stated in our Covents Conditions and Restrictions). We then received verbal approval from Ken Graham (who at the time was on the BOD and President of the executive board) to erect a 6 foot shadow box fence. We were told a letter in writing was in the mail stating our approval. (By the way, we are 1st time home buyers) The HOA did not take effect in our neighborhood until July 1, 2002. We were approved in April 27, 2002 by the ARC.

August 2002 – June 2003 – letters stating we needed something in writing to prove we had approval for the fence, letters threatening fines, etc.. I contacted Ken Graham at this time and he advised me he could not give me anything in writing b/c his partner Forest Jenkins advised him not to. He did however remember approving my fence. Therefore we were forced to attend a hearing on our issue. We had our attorney present and he advised us to sign an agreement with the HOA simply b/c we did not have a leg to stand on (w/o a letter of approval). The agreement was we had to pay $100 fine, we could keep the fence as long as we (the owners) occupied the house, and we had to present a landscaping plan to “buffer” the fence!

April 2004- we put the house up for sale b/c of all the “issues” with the neighborhood. We had a potential buyer who wanted to purchase the home but wanted to keep the fence. We then realized what an asset we had added to our home and knew we would have a problem selling the home to this “buyer” if we told him the issue with our fence. Of course, that “buyer” moved on and did not want to get involved. Therefore we lost a sale on our home. I then contacted Ken Graham by phone and he agreed to put something in writing that he approved my fence. I received this approval in writing from Ken on April 21, 2004 (2 years later). We then presented this letter to the HOA along with a letter from our attorney and now the HOA feels this issue is like “beating a dead horse.” These are exact words (in writing!) from the President of Abbott Enterprises (the management company for Catawba River Plantation HOA). He feels we have the same argument over and over. Well the fact is, we do have the same argument b/c we were given the approval in the first place.

So you can see our dilemma. I feel we were very much taken advantage of especially since this is my 1st home. We should have never put the fence up without written approval but we were promised twice that a letter was in the mail to our home by Ken Graham and his assistant (Tami). I would have never spent $2,000 on a fence that I was going to have to remove when I moved out of my 1st big investment. We have also gotten quotes on tearing our fence down and replacing it with a 4 foot fence. This would cost $7,000. To cut our fence down to a 4 foot and making it look presentable is not an option but they could cut it down with a straight edge for $1,300.

I have attached a letter of approval from Ken Graham and a letter from our attorney to the HOA attorney explaining our position. I also attached a copy of the Rules of Arbitration for Catawba River Plantation. We have then since received a letter from the HOA attorney and Billy Packer (a member of the board) stating our issue was resolved and they see no reason for further action (or arbitration). They are basically rejecting our request for arbitration. Therefore the only action is to take out a lawsuit on the HOA which could take 1-2 years and cost a lot of money. If you could be of any assistance, please let me know. I would really like to have this issue resolved. I have all of the documents in writing for further review if necessary that took place from April 2002 – present. Please contact me by e-mail ([email protected]) if you have any suggestions.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any other information or documents. Again this is a “brief” summary of the events that have taken place since we first moved into this neighborhood. Thank you for your time in advance.

Sincerely,

Chris Ferriell

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
... and this relates to baskeball officiating,... how?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

WTF !!!!!

Just sue everyone of the *******s !!!!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

My question is - was the proposed fence in the backcourt or frontcourt?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Was their feet set when they charged you? BP says your feet gotta be set.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

If you were the first to touch the wood before it was made into a fence and then the fence went into you backyard, I would say the fence is in your control and belongs to you.

therefore by rule the fence belongs to you and you either need to chop it down or bring it with you.

Keep in mind that I am not an attorney, but I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night.

I am however a basketball official, so if I can help you with any rule interpretations relating to the sport of baketball please let me know.

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Angry Huh???

Dang it! I've flipped through the doggone rule book and can't find any references to 6 foot fences on the court dimensions.

So your dog has at least a 48" vertical, but can he dunk, rebound, and block shots? If so, there are lots of AAU teams out there that would be happy to take him in.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA or NBA

I can't remember which team he played for, but I remember a golden retriever not too long ago that was pretty damn good. I think his name was Air Bud.

Just imagine if there were two dogs as good as him with that kind of leaping ability.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Would you like a full time-out or a 30?

Z
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, that Billy Packer just brings out the best in people....

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'd laugh, but HOA's are the worse thing ever invented by man. I fight with mine all the time. The only people who like them are the HOA lawyers.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody wanna bet that this guy Googled Billy Packer and found this site! LOL!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I'd laugh, but HOA's are the worse thing ever invented by man. I fight with mine all the time. The only people who like them are the HOA lawyers.
So as long as we're totoally off topic, what ARE HOA's?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Neither.

It is the D-fence.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Neither.

It is the D-fence.
Ooooo.... ouch!