The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Juulie,
I wrote what I did because these things that you wrote made it seem like you didn't understand the rules correctly.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Did the refs signal a 3? If not, I don't think this is fixable.
That's not true. A 2 can be changed to a 3 or a 3 can be changed to a 2.

Quote:

A scoretable error is, (I mean, if they wrote in 2 instead of 3), but not under 2-10. Is the correctable error rule different in college than hs?
No, it's the same, although a TV monitor is allowed to be used.

Quote:
In high school, this isn't a correctable error. The coach can't go to the table for this, and there's no "charged or not-charged a time-out".
Not true at all. It does fall under 2-10. Specifically, erroneously counting or cancelling a score (that extra point). The coach is certainly allowed to go to the table and request the TO to appeal the decision on the court.

Quote:
But it is fixable up to the time the book is signed off, and the refs are off the court. ... if the refs had signalled a 3. If they thought it was a 2, then it's just too bad for that team.
Clearly you know bookkeeping mistakes. Of course, that last sentence is confusing. I'll add that in NFHS play the officials don't have access to a TV monitor, but they can use the table crew for added information. Perhaps one of them clearly saw the play. This is an option rather than just saying, "We didn't see it. Too bad, coach."
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 07:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Juulie,
I wrote what I did because these things that you wrote made it seem like you didn't understand the rules correctly.

Quote:

Did the refs signal a 3? If not, I don't think this is fixable.
That's not true. A 2 can be changed to a 3 or a 3 can be changed to a 2.

Quote:

A scoretable error is, (I mean, if they wrote in 2 instead of 3), but not under 2-10. Is the correctable error rule different in college than hs?
No, it's the same, although a TV monitor is allowed to be used.

Quote:
In high school, this isn't a correctable error. The coach can't go to the table for this, and there's no "charged or not-charged a time-out".
Not true at all. It does fall under 2-10. Specifically, erroneously counting or cancelling a score (that extra point). The coach is certainly allowed to go to the table and request the TO to appeal the decision on the court.

Quote:
But it is fixable up to the time the book is signed off, and the refs are off the court. ... if the refs had signalled a 3. If they thought it was a 2, then it's just too bad for that team.
Clearly you know bookkeeping mistakes. Of course, that last sentence is confusing. I'll add that in NFHS play the officials don't have access to a TV monitor, but they can use the table crew for added information. Perhaps one of them clearly saw the play. This is an option rather than just saying, "We didn't see it. Too bad, coach."
Unless I was working a tournament game at a neutral site, I simply wouldn't do this. Many of our table personnel have enough trouble working the clock/book.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Look at 2.10.1G and repeat that last sentence if you dare!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Look at 2.10.1G and repeat that last sentence if you dare!
I can't deny the wording of the case book play -- "neither official cleary observed" -- so you certainly have the position of strength on this point.

After thinking more about it, perhaps it makes more sense to confine the scorer and timer to giving information only about scoring or timing issues and leave them completely out of calls made or not made on the court. Yeah, I'll change my mind and agree; don't ask your table crew.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Did the refs signal a 3? If not, I don't think this is fixable. A scoretable error is, (I mean, if they wrote in 2 instead of 3), but not under 2-10. Is the correctable error rule different in college than hs? In high school, this isn't a correctable error. The coach can't go to the table for this, and there's no "charged or not-charged a time-out". But it is fixable up to the time the book is signed off, and the refs are off the court. ... if the refs had signalled a 3. If they thought it was a 2, then it's just too bad for that team.

It would definitely be wrong in hs to stop play, especially when the opponent has the ball! I guess even the best refs (and Melissa Barlow is definitely one of the best!!) can make mistakes once in a while.
rainmaker, this is a correctable error in HS.

Officials indicating a 2 (by lack of a signal) and it should have been a 3 is no different than indicating a 3 when it should be a 2. It's erronesouly counting a score. This is correctable until the next dead ball becomes live. Of course, the officials can't use any media for determining it...but only consulting each other. Perhaps they just goofed and didn't signal.

The scorebook error is when the official indicates 2 and the scorer records 3 (and vice versa)...fixable until the final score is approved.

I'm for stopping play ASAP for a potential correctable error (but not when either team is actively attacking). If the other team is walking it up the court or passing back and forth 30' from the basket....I'll stop the play. The longer you delay once you know there might be an error, the less likely you'll be able to get it right. It might be 5 minutes before there is another dead ball.
Camron, did you see the play on Tuesday evening? The ref whistled it dead right in the middle of the opponent's play. They weren't actively attacking, but they were trying to do something.
No...didn't watch the game. Not particularly interested. Didn't even know it was on.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand what you say about a ref signalling or not signalling a 3-point shot. You said, "indicating a 2 (by lack of a signal) and it should have been a 3 is no different than indicating a 3 when it should be a 2." What does "should have been" mean? If the refs didn't signal, doesn't that mean it wasn't a 3? That's in effect a no-call, right? Can the coach stop the game to argue a no-call? I don't understand your point here.
If the refs didn't signal, it means they didn't count it as a 3. If it is addressed before the correctable error time has expired, they can correct the score.

It's possible one ref saw it was a three (but out of their primary) and didn't signal thinking that their partner(s) had it covered. But, for some reason, they didn't have it covered. It's a correctable error.

Since there is no such think as a no-call in the rule book that is not what is being questioned. They can, however, question if a shot was counted correctly. Usually, this doesn't happen when the opponent has the ball but there's nothing prohibiting an official from stopping the game at any point to rectify an error. The scorers are instructed to delay signaling the official until the other team loses the ball however.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm bringing this thread forward to ask a couple more questions, since I was reviewing the game again last night.

(1) So, this was a college game (in fact THE college game of the year) and was played under NCAAW rules. Was it handled correctly? Apparently from what several of you have said, stopping the game in the middle of an opponents' play was within the rules, but is it acceptable? I know, I know, if they do it in the championship game, it must be right, but I don't understand that. It didn't seem right to me.

(2) If it had been a high school game under Fed rules, and the stoppage was at an appropriate place in the game, what was done would have been within the rules, but a TO would also have been charged to the team that asked for the correction, am I right? But under college rules, this isn't a correctable error, so no TO is charged?
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm bringing this thread forward to ask a couple more questions, since I was reviewing the game again last night.

(1) So, this was a college game (in fact THE college game of the year) and was played under NCAAW rules. Was it handled correctly? Apparently from what several of you have said, stopping the game in the middle of an opponents' play was within the rules, but is it acceptable? I know, I know, if they do it in the championship game, it must be right, but I don't understand that. It didn't seem right to me.

(2) If it had been a high school game under Fed rules, and the stoppage was at an appropriate place in the game, what was done would have been within the rules, but a TO would also have been charged to the team that asked for the correction, am I right? But under college rules, this isn't a correctable error, so no TO is charged?
#1. Sometimes, yes. Recommended, usually not. Example. A1 scores what is apparently a 2 with 30 seconds left in the game to put them up by 2. B1 dribbling at half court with 20 seconds on the clock when coach a request a correction. Stop the game immediately. It's valualbe to both teams to get it correct if it needs to be corrected at that time. For A, it'll potentially be worth an extra point, putting them up by 3. For B, their last play will be dictated by the score as they see it. If they go for the apparent tie with a layup at the buzzer, they're going to be really pissed if the correction is addressed at that time and it results in a 3. Now they've lost when they ran a play for the tie.

#2. In HS, a TO is charge when the game is stopped for a correctable error challenge that is leads to no correction. The TO is not charge if a correction is made. I'm not sure for college.

[Edited by Camron Rust on May 14th, 2005 at 03:45 AM]