The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not sure why I am defending him.

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
I believe Packer even went on to say that Augistine's fouls were just caused by him not wanting to move his feet and not getting to the spot.
He did....when Packer first said "touch fouls", I rolled my eyes, too - but he made it pretty clear with his subsequent comments that he felt Augustine was just playing lazy defense.

Having said that, if that fifth foul was legit, then May should have been called on that move to the hoop earlier in the game where the defender got basically run over.

Still, in the end, Augustine just looked lost out there, like he was just having an off day. It was instructive to watch May dominate every one of the Illinois big guys in that game. A superb performance.

I was pulling hard for Illinois, but it was a great win by NC.

Packer also talked about those supposed "illegal screens" with about 2:00 to go in the game. To me, they didn't look any different than the ones early in the first half - good consistency by the crew.

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Not sure why I am defending him.

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Packer also talked about those supposed "illegal screens" with about 2:00 to go in the game. To me, they didn't look any different than the ones early in the first half - good consistency by the crew.
Yes, they were consistent. But consistently ignoring a foul for the sake of consistency isn't necessarily a good thing. Several screens were defintely illegal and should have been called. It occurred throughout the game, not just in the last few minutes. It's a good thing that John Chaney wasn't there.

And just so I'm not accused of being a "fanboy," I thought the play in the first half should have been a PC foul on May. And he definitely traveled when he fell over Brown and on the spin move where he scored and was fouled.

JMHO.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Great game and my congrats to the Tar Heels. Even though I am first of all a Duke fan, I always pull for the ACC. My son was happy (he's a Tar Heel fan) and he won some $$ in his office pool. He knew going in to the final that he would win something. One of the guys in the pool picked Bucknell over Kansas and that win was worth 1 point in the pool. So, my son finished with (I think) $150 and the other guy won $350 so the Bucknell win cost Jay $200. But, his Heels won.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Question Not entirely consistent

Quote:
Having said that, if that fifth foul was legit, then May should have been called on that move to the hoop earlier in the game where the defender got basically run over.

...To me, they didn't look any different than the ones early in the first half - good consistency by the crew.
Huh?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not entirely consistent

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

...To me, they didn't look any different than the ones early in the first half - good consistency by the crew.
Huh?
Uh, yeah. I was clearly talking about their approach to the screening.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

About the screening...

even though it was consistent, wasn't it really favoring Illinois more though?

(Disclaimer: Only saw about last 10 minutes and read these posts)
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
About the screening...

even though it was consistent, wasn't it really favoring Illinois more though?

(Disclaimer: Only saw about last 10 minutes and read these posts)
Well, yes, because they shot 40 3-pointers. They ran the shooters off those screens all night.

Having watched the game again and no longer being as concerned with the outcome, I think there would 2 that should have been called and 2 more that easily could have been called. But it's water under the bridge now.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
But it's water under the bridge now.
Yes, that's true. But it's good to analyze so the same "mistakes" aren't made by us.