The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Rule on traveling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1946-ncaa-rule-traveling.html)

akingsfan Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:05am

I need help on an NCAA rule on traveling. I know that under NFHS rules, if a person shots a ball and the ball does not hit the rim or anything, he can rebound his own shot and not be a travel. My question is what is the NCAA rule on this matter? Does a shot have to touch something before the player who shots it touches the ball? I looked in the back of the NFHS rules under the differences and it said nothing about it so I was wondering. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JRutledge Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:43am

The same

Both NF and NCAA rule is the exact same. Anytime there is a legitimate shot in the officials opinion, they shooter can go get the ball.

BktBallRef Mon Mar 12, 2001 09:34am

However, it is traveling in the NBA.

akingsfan Fri Mar 16, 2001 12:10am

Thanks for the help. We had this play two or three times in intramural basketball last week and they said we are playing by NCAA rules so I was wondering about it. I thought the rule was that it was legal like high school but everyone there said it was a walk. So, thanks for the feedback. At least now I know that my thinking was correct. They even asked our coaches here at college and they said it was a travel in NCAA.

mikesears Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:31am

Quote:

Thanks for the help. We had this play two or three times in intramural basketball last week and they said we are playing by NCAA rules so I was wondering about it. I thought the rule was that it was legal like high school but everyone there said it was a walk.
When I was a fan and an intramural referee (before I ever picked up a rulebook), I used to think this was a travel, too and NOW I get people upset when I DON'T call this a travel.

Quote:

So, thanks for the feedback. At least now I know that my thinking was correct.
This forum is an outstanding place to really learn the rules. We are glad you asked the question. AHHH! Another educated fan.

Quote:

They even asked our coaches here at college and they said it was a travel in NCAA.
This was the first mistake ;)

mick Fri Mar 16, 2001 12:26pm

NCAA Definition

Quote:

Originally posted by akingsfan
I need help on an NCAA rule on traveling. I know that under NFHS rules, if a person shots a ball and the ball does not hit the rim or anything, he can rebound his own shot and not be a travel. My question is what is the NCAA rule on this matter? Does a shot have to touch something before the player who shots it touches the ball? I looked in the back of the NFHS rules under the differences and it said nothing about it so I was wondering. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kingsfan,
(quote)
<b>Rule 4, Section 60. Traveling</b>
Art.1 Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both feet in any direction in excess of the prescribed limits described in this rule.

A.R. 32. A1 attempts a try at Team A's basket after having completed a dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring, flange, or any player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? <b>Ruling</b> When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 has not struck the ring, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule.(end quote)

mick

jweiler Sat Mar 17, 2001 05:52pm

The NCAA rule is the same as NFHS. Player and team control ends on a try (shot attempt). Therefore the shooter can recover his own shot attempt, whether it hits anything or not.