The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have been a member for the past couple of years...I must say that while I have enjoyed many of the post I read, I am not sure if I am getting what I expected when I joined the site. I am an aspiring official who is currently still a member of the armed service. Although, I have been officiating for about six years I have not officiated beyond the high school varsity level...I am very happy there but I do have aspirations of moving up someday when my schedule permits...The reason I am burdening you all with all of this is that the reason I initially joined was to become a better official through dialogue and observations by senior officials and those who have been where I am trying to get. It seems to me, that sometimes the forums are merely a place to vent and not really talk basketball, but instead embarrass and belittle each other. Perhaps, if I had a scorecard to know whose posts to take seriously, and whose to only read for their inherent entertainment value, I would get more out of the site. I am not looking for reasons why I shouldn't have wrote this posts, but instead I am looking for reasons to renew my membership...please help!!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I paid any dues for this forum. I have received tons of valuable information on this board. It has helped me with different play situations and rules interpretations.

It has also helped me with my typing and spelling, thanks to some of the grammar guys.

As far as helping you get to where you want to be, the best advice I can give you is to work with someone in your association that is already there or has some connections. A lot of that is based on geographic location and who you know.

If you don't think the site was worth it to you, then I think you answered your own question.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref
I have been a member for the past couple of years...I must say that while I have enjoyed many of the post I read, I am not sure if I am getting what I expected when I joined the site. I am an aspiring official who is currently still a member of the armed service. Although, I have been officiating for about six years I have not officiated beyond the high school varsity level...I am very happy there but I do have aspirations of moving up someday when my schedule permits...The reason I am burdening you all with all of this is that the reason I initially joined was to become a better official through dialogue and observations by senior officials and those who have been where I am trying to get. It seems to me, that sometimes the forums are merely a place to vent and not really talk basketball, but instead embarrass and belittle each other. Perhaps, if I had a scorecard to know whose posts to take seriously, and whose to only read for their inherent entertainment value, I would get more out of the site. I am not looking for reasons why I shouldn't have wrote this posts, but instead I am looking for reasons to renew my membership...please help!!
This forum is free. There is no need to renew a membership to participate in it.

The speech here is also free. Take from the site what you will. However, don't tell the rest of us what and what not to post. That's the moderator's job. If there are posts that you don't like, just quit reading them.

May I also suggest that a little more involvement in this forum might be personally helpful to you also. Three posts in a "couple of years" isn't really trying to improve yourself through "dialogue" imo. If you have questions, ask them.

Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

There is no cost to use this forum, the membership is to read the articles. You don't have to renew anything to read and post on the forum.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I paid any dues for this forum. I have received tons of valuable information on this board. It has helped me with different play situations and rules interpretations.

It has also helped me with my typing and spelling, thanks to some of the grammar guys.

As far as helping you get to where you want to be, the best advice I can give you is to work with someone in your association that is already there or has some connections. A lot of that is based on geographic location and who you know.

If you don't think the site was worth it to you, then I think you answered your own question...

I only meant the membership dues I pay...do you mean anyone can enter this site and post, without being a paying membership... Perhaps, you did not read my post carefully enough, but I did say that I do find the site entertaining, but I was looking for a scorecard so I knew which ones to take seriously...and you are obviously not the one to provide that info...but thanks for the reply just the same. You see I still don't even know how to reply those who try to be a smart alex when I am trying to ask a serious qquestion????
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

If you don't think the site was worth it to you, then I think you answered your own question...

I only meant the membership dues I pay...do you mean anyone can enter this site and post, without being a paying membership... Perhaps, you did not read my post carefully enough, but I did say that I do find the site entertaining, but I was looking for a scorecard so I knew which ones to take seriously...and you are obviously not the one to provide that info...but thanks for the reply just the same. You see I still don't even know how to reply those who try to be a smart alex when I am trying to ask a serious question????
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I only meant the membership dues I pay...do you mean anyone can enter this site and post, without being a paying membership... Perhaps, you did not read my post carefully enough, but I did say that I do find the site entertaining, but I was looking for a scorecard so I knew which ones to take seriously...and you are obviously not the one to provide that info...but thanks for the reply just the same. You see I still don't even know how to reply those who try to be a smart alex when I am trying to ask a serious qquestion????
This forum is free. There is a paid section (officiating.com) where you have to be a paid member to read articles.

One other poster said it best -- if you want advice, opinions, etc. from the people that post here, you have to participate, too.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks very much...you all have been very helpful...Please forgive my ignorance. I am not accustomed to this forum. However, do not take my lack of my posts as not participating....I always thought you could learn more by listening....afterall, it is better to keep one's mouth close and let everyone think you are an idiot, than open one's mouth and prove it....
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
afterall, it is better to keep one's mouth close and let everyone think you are an idiot, than open one's mouth and prove it....
This is a medical condition called "Billy Packer Syndrome"
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Buddy. You'll have to do the homework

I doubt anybody is going to be so presumptuous as to post their personal scorecard. Different posters rate differently to different people. But if you really have hung around here much in the past couple of years, it should be pretty obvious who are respected vetrans and who are the entertainers.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

I only meant the membership dues I pay...do you mean anyone can enter this site and post, without being a paying membership... Perhaps, you did not read my post carefully enough, but I did say that I do find the site entertaining, but I was looking for a scorecard so I knew which ones to take seriously...and you are obviously not the one to provide that info...but thanks for the reply just the same. You see I still don't even know how to reply those who try to be a smart alex when I am trying to ask a serious question????
Scorecard?!? In all seriousness, what does that mean? Most of us who are regulars participate in serious discussion about rules, game management, problems and how to handle them, and other basketball related situations. I doubt there are any of us that are above the occasional jab, jest, or other jape. And we all sometmies lose our tempers and need to be brought under control. We can also be rather harsh on trolls. I can't imagine that you've been looking at this site for two years, and you can't tell who's "serious" and who's not.

If you have specific rules or mechanics questions, or if you've had agame management situation that you weren't sure how to handle, then post those!! Most of us will chime in if necessary to give you a variety of opinions and a range of possibilities. If you jump in feet first, you may find that the water is very refreshing!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

agmattbballref....

You will need to be more aggressive! I hope you are not as timid "on the court" as you appear with your involvement on this "FREE" forum site.

Good Luck!

wl
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I have enjoyed the banter back and forth, and I will definitely continue to stick around and read your posts...I guess that you guys have a pretty high opinion of yourselves, if you think that I actually remember your names from post to post....(that was a joke...Maybe not if I have to explain it???) As far as being timid, maybe one day we will get a chance to work together and you can tell me, but I live by a philosophy, that if you lose your temper you have already lost....doesn't always work but I believe it keeps me centered and less likely to be pissed off by the slightest differing opinion. I mean after all I have fought in wars that were less tension filled than some of the things that is said on this site...Hey wait, there's an idea maybe the President could petiton a forum to solve world crisis...I am sure our nation's enemies would turn tail and run from some of the rancid witicism spewed here...
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I know for me, this site has been a great source to learn from others rather than blaze my own trails. It amazes me how many times a unique situation has been discussed here and that very week I see it on the court. Of course, sometimes we have differing opinions how it should be correctly handled, but at least I know my options before it happens and catches me by suprise.

I think my favorite part is the rivalry between BZ and JRut.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"....As far as being timid, maybe one day we will get a chance to work together and you can tell me, but I live by a philosophy, that if you lose your temper you have already lost....doesn't always work but I believe it keeps me centered and less likely to be pissed off by the slightest differing opinion."
What does 'timid' have to do with "losing your temper"? Who said you have to lose your temper on the court? What kind of basketball officiating do you do? What are your game management techniques to handle conflict resolution involving players, coaches, fans, etc.?

Issues like these are topics covered in this forum. If you stand mute...without question or participation, how do you initiate a learning process?

Familiar with the military....we find personnel "learn" in 3-steps. 1) You hear it. 2) You read it. 3) You do it!

Again.....good luck!

wl