The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

This must be confession time. As an independent contractor, I pay annual association dues of $85 and a $2 payroll check fee. For each varsity/jr.-varsity assignment (2 person mechanics), I receive $103. The max allowed to pay a CIF/CCS basketball official is $60 per game and a new 3 year state contract will be introduced for the 2005-6 season. I was told another association close by pays mileage for those that are assigned games beyond a certain radius from their place of residence.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Northern Nevada

We pay $75 dues and 3% on the gross(Game fees plus mileage)
AAR
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My local HS board dues are $100. This includes my IAABO dues, state board dues, insurance, board executives salaries, etc. We pay no assessment for our assignments. The assignor is hired by the conference and they pay him directly. I believe that he is paid one game check per team schedule that he assigns. (So he gets 6 game checks per school, one each for boys var, JV, Frosh, girls var, JV, and Frosh.)

My college dues are $50 and we pay an assessment to the ECAC that varies depending on how many games we are initially assigned at the beginning of the season. It can be anywhere from $50 to $125, I think. (I never get enough assignments to pay the highest assessment. Oh well. )
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

For our local boys association we pay $45 for dues and 6.5% of our game fees are deducted from our check at the end of the season.

For our local girls association we pay $35 for dues and 8% of our game fees are deducted from our check at the end of the season.

Z
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I am a member of the following Official Associations and pay the following:

Middle School: $30 assigning fee & $20 dues

High School: 5% & $75 dues

College: $125 booking fee each for 2 leagues

Rec Ball: $10 dues & 5% & One-game fee

JUCO: Don't recall paying anything
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

We pay association fees, but when we get games from the school, conferences or leagues. The assignors do not give us our money. Just like what Chris said. The school, conference or league pays the assignor fees to assign the games. Then when there is a problem with games and who got those games, a group is not responsible, an individual is.

This just illustrates my previous comments about officials in many areas being slaves to the association. Is there anything these groups do not control? No wonder there is a shortage over the country.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 01:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: Northern Nevada

Quote:
Originally posted by Almost Always Right
We pay $75 dues and 3% on the gross(Game fees plus mileage)
AAR
How can they charge you 3% of your mileage...I'm thinking that might be a little illegal.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Wow do we have it good up here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I pay a $35.00 annual fee ($50.00 for both basketball and football) to belong to my association of roughly 85 officials. The collection of these fees takes care of the assigner and all other expenses for running the association.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
In my area of VA, we pay yearly dues ($45 dollars, I think). Then we get charged 6% of every game fee, which goes to our board commissioner, who is also the assignor. The 6% comes off of the game fee, not off of game fee plus mileage compensation. We are looking at reducing the fee next year, to between 3% and 5%

When I was in DE, the we had two assignors, one for scholastic, the other for rec leagues. Each of them got a flat compensation rate that was paid to them out of our yearly dues. There was no percentage of game fees taken out.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
We pay association fees, but when we get games from the school, conferences or leagues. The assignors do not give us our money. Just like what Chris said. The school, conference or league pays the assignor fees to assign the games. Then when there is a problem with games and who got those games, a group is not responsible, an individual is.

This just illustrates my previous comments about officials in many areas being slaves to the association. Is there anything these groups do not control? No wonder there is a shortage over the country.

Peace
I have seen many studies on referee shortages and I have never seen where "slaves to the association" or "assigning fees" have been listed as a reason.

I find it very worth it to pay my association to deal with schools in getting games and also in getting paid. I would hate to have to deal with individual AD's to solicit games. My time is much to valuable to be used in that way.

By the way, I find the term "slave" offensive so please find a better way to express your meaning. I joined my association quite voluntarily and I have the choice of officiating or not. I do not get beaten if I choose not to officiate. Your use of the term is in very poor taste.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Mar 29th, 2005 at 02:52 PM]
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 07:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face You are too easily offended, but what else is new.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

I have seen many studies on referee shortages and I have never seen where "slaves to the association" or "assigning fees" have been listed as a reason.

I find it very worth it to pay my association to deal with schools in getting games and also in getting paid. I would hate to have to deal with individual AD's to solicit games. My time is much to valuable to be used in that way.
I do not have to solicit games. No one I know has to solicit games. The assignors come looking for you. If they like you, they pick you up. If they do not like you, your phone will never ring and your email with never be full. I turn down more games and opportunities than I accept. Especially when changes come in the schedule or games are added.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
By the way, I find the term "slave" offensive so please find a better way to express your meaning. I joined my association quite voluntarily and I have the choice of officiating or not. I do not get beaten if I choose not to officiate. Your use of the term is in very poor taste.

Z

Well the term "slave" does not offend me. I will use it as I see fit, considering my background and feelings on this issue. You might not get beaten, but you sure are getting screwed for paying a fee that is should be between the schools and the assignor. Or if the assignor is hired to work those games, put the expense in the dues up front just like other expenses. I really do not care what kind of taste you think I have, we do not share the same value system on many things.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

mthomas,

What board are you on. I am on board 7 (litchfield county) and I believe ours is 7%. I just paid mine so i'll have to go back and look....
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We pay our assignor $1 per game, but it does not come out of our check. Our dues are $70 per year which includes IAABO. Considering all of the headaches our assignor goes through, I am surprised he only charges $1.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
mthomas,

What board are you on. I am on board 7 (litchfield county) and I believe ours is 7%. I just paid mine so i'll have to go back and look....
C, Mckenna

The answer to your question: Board 8 (Southeastern,CT).

Thanks for the reply!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: You are too easily offended, but what else is new.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I do not have to solicit games. No one I know has to solicit games. The assignors come looking for you. If they like you, they pick you up. If they do not like you, your phone will never ring and your email with never be full.

Like I said, I don't have time for that. I just fill out my availability and then my schedule is filled by our assignor. Simple one-stop shopping. I don't have time to deal with several phone calls or e-mails. My time is more valuable than the assigning fee I pay.

Well the term "slave" does not offend me. I will use it as I see fit, considering my background and feelings on this issue. You might not get beaten, but you sure are getting screwed for paying a fee that is should be between the schools and the assignor. Or if the assignor is hired to work those games, put the expense in the dues up front just like other expenses. I really do not care what kind of taste you think I have, we do not share the same value system on many things.

Why does it not surprise me that you do not care if others get offended. Just more ignorance. All the officials I talk to around here prefer to have their expenses deducted from their check at the end of the year. I prefer it that way too. Any expenses I pay to my association are well worth it.

Z