The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

NCAA women's game today between Rutgers and Ohio State. After a made basket by OSU, Rutgers A1 is OOB and passes to A2, who is also OOB. OSU player B1 reaches over the endline and knocks the ball away while in flight.

Officials get together, discuss, and award Rutgers a spot throw-in.

Bwah???
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
NCAA women's game today between Rutgers and Ohio State. After a made basket by OSU, Rutgers A1 is OOB and passes to A2, who is also OOB. OSU player B1 reaches over the endline and knocks the ball away while in flight.

Officials get together, discuss, and award Rutgers a spot throw-in.

Bwah???
Trigger, are you working from Fed rules? Who can give us the NCAA rule?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

As you state the play, it is a T. My guess is the officials rule the ball to be on the inbound side of the line when it was touched.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes. It wasn't even close. Then, the baseline official, who blew the whistle, looked befuddled, and ran out to the C for help.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Well, you won't see the baseline official in the next round.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 09:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The rule is exactly the same at the college level (either side).

Peace
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The rule is exactly the same at the college level (either side).

For the purpose of this specific play the rule is the same in NFHS and NCAA play, but there is a difference in the more general case.

In the NFHS the defender can break the plane once the ball is released by the thrower on the attempted throw-in pass.

In the NCAA the restrictions on the defender don't end until the ball breaks the OOB boundary plane.

Since this was a pass on the OOB side of the boundary from A1 to A2 after a made goal and NOT a throw-in pass, the difference in the two rule sets doesn't matter here. As described the call should have been a T in either a Fed or NCAA game.

Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. A T should have been called.

A few seconds after that play Rutgers had a spot throw-in on baseline at same spot but this time it seemed to me they faked passing the ball along the baseline. At the extreme left of my TV screen the Rutgers girl on the court ran toward the baseline and an Ohio State player followed. The OSU player went all the way to the baseline as if the Rutgers girl had stepped OB. Unfortunately, the Rutgers player disappeared from the screen (no HD widesccreen in this house) so I do not know if she went OB or not to fake the same play as earlier. If so: Rutgers T for leaving court unautorized.

Anyone else see this?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long

A few seconds after that play Rutgers had a spot throw-in on baseline at same spot but this time it seemed to me they faked passing the ball along the baseline. At the extreme left of my TV screen the Rutgers girl on the court ran toward the baseline and an Ohio State player followed. The OSU player went all the way to the baseline as if the Rutgers girl had stepped OB. Unfortunately, the Rutgers player disappeared from the screen (no HD widesccreen in this house) so I do not know if she went OB or not to fake the same play as earlier. If so: Rutgers T for leaving court unautorized.

Anyone else see this?
And now we get to debate whether that is a T or a violation for a teammate being OOB during a designated spot throw-in.

Have fun...
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Anyone else see this?
And now we get to debate whether that is a T or a violation for a teammate being OOB during a designated spot throw-in.

Have fun...
In Fed I'm going with the violation. But I looked in the NCAA book and didn't see a restriction on teammates being oob during a spot throw-in. Is it there and I just missed it? But didn't NCAA change going oob under your own volition to be just a violation this year?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Anyone else see this?

Have fun...
In Fed I'm going with the violation. But I looked in the NCAA book and didn't see a restriction on teammates being oob during a spot throw-in. Is it there and I just missed it? But didn't NCAA change going oob under your own volition to be just a violation this year?
9-5-2
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

To all:

NCAA: Indirect technical foul

See pages BR 139-140 of NCAA Rule book.
NCAA Rule 10-3-16.
NCAA Rule 10-3-20 and A.R. 8