The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

This play happened in a regional tournament game in our area and I need some input. A1 inbounds ball a midcourt. A2 recieves pass in frontcourt and proceeds to drive the length of floor for an uncontested dunk on the wrong basket. The officials don't blow whistle until after he dunks ball. They huddle and decide that he caught pass in frontcourt and going the wrong way have a backcourt violation, no basket. B's coach goes ballistic and wants basket to count for him since they didn't kill the play till after he dunked ball. They award B the ball at midcourt and go on. A fellow official argues that if they went back to violation and wipe off basket, then they should also penalize the dunk since it happened on a dead ball. Another also argues that since it is NOT a correctable error, they should have let the play stand and give ball back to A for throw-in and bite the bullet since they didn't blow the violation when it occured. All are interesting scenarios and even more interesting take on the rules. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting scenario! I don't think the rules specifically cover this situation. Anyone who answers is going to have to pick a few rules and apply them.

Here's my take.

Anytime after the ball entered the BC and while the ball was still live, the BC violation could have been called. Once the basket is scored and the ball becomes dead, it's too late to call it. It's not a correctable error situation as defined in 2-10. It's no different than trying to call traveling or 3 seconds after the shot has already been made. My solution would have been to count the basket and give the ball back to A1.

And, be sure to point him in the right direction.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree. If you are going to swallow your whistle and let play continue, you have to let what happened stand, there is no way to correct this. A gets baseline throw in.

I am just glad they didn't call the T.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I don't think there is any way or rule that allows this to be corrected. It doesn't fall under 2-10 in any way and since the officials didn't call the backcourt violation when it happened, you can't call it after it is over and done with. My thought is B's awarded two points and A gets the ball at the baseline. Regardless whether it's a two person or three person crew, someone should have been alert to what was going on and blown the whistle.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Up until the basket was scored, I'd go for the "late-whistle." Coach, we noticed it, but our tracheas were working improperly.

Once you have the basket, the 2 points count for B (unless, of course, this was at the beginning of the half, and A2 was confused)
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Confused

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Up until the basket was scored, I'd go for the "late-whistle." Coach, we noticed it, but our tracheas were working improperly.

Once you have the basket, the 2 points count for B (unless, of course, this was at the beginning of the half, and A2 was confused)
Why would it matter if it was the beginning of the half or not?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Confused

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Why would it matter if it was the beginning of the half or not?
Here's an example.

At the beginning of the second half, 10 players and 3 officials have a brain fart. The referee points the wrong way and administers the throw-in to A1. Team A, following the referee's instructions, goes the wrong way and scores in the wrong basket. B1 inbounds the ball and proceeds to the other end, where A3 fouls B2. Now, one of the officials realizes the teams have been going in the wrong direction.

The basket for Team A and the foul against A3 counts. The teams are now pointed at the proper basket and begin play as they should have at the beginning of the quarter. NF 4-5-4

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks, BktBallRef!
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me during a camp! Lucky the games we were doing were basically scrimmages. The D1 officials stated that since I did not blow my whistle when the violation occured, I need to take my lumps for the mistake! The basket counts>

AK ref SE
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Think of it this way

Quote:
Originally posted by Alligator Bag
This play happened in a regional tournament game in our area and I need some input. A1 inbounds ball a midcourt. A2 recieves pass in frontcourt and proceeds to drive the length of floor for an uncontested dunk on the wrong basket. The officials don't blow whistle until after he dunks ball. They huddle and decide that he caught pass in frontcourt and going the wrong way have a backcourt violation, no basket.
Too late for this Because they failed to call the violation, once the bucket was scored, count the basket.
We don't penalize a player for travelling if we miss making the call and the player scores.

Quote:
[/b]
B's coach goes ballistic and wants basket to count for him since they didn't kill the play till after he dunked ball.
[/b]
And he was correct

Quote:
They award B the ball at midcourt and go on.
No such provision for a do-over in this situation.

Quote:
A fellow official argues that if they went back to violation and wipe off basket, then they should also penalize the dunk since it happened on a dead ball.
Adding fuel to a large fire.

Quote:
Another also argues that since it is NOT a correctable error, they should have let the play stand and give ball back to A for throw-in and bite the bullet since they didn't blow the violation when it occured.
The official who said "bite the bullet was correct" but sounds like he didn't win out. This is not a "Do-Over" situation.

My two cents.