The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

Do any of you believe that a delay of game(warning, penalty, etc.) should be added for any delays that the game should incur for water being on the floor after a time-out? Specifically a :30 TO.
I cannot find a reference to this in any of my material.
AAR
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't. I would just ask someone to clean it up and get all of the players on the floor.

Now, if the coach is using that to have extra time with their team then I would say something to the coach about having everyone ready to play by the time the 2nd horn sounds.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Almost Always Right
Do any of you believe that a delay of game(warning, penalty, etc.) should be added for any delays that the game should incur for water being on the floor after a time-out? Specifically a :30 TO.
I cannot find a reference to this in any of my material.
AAR
Interesting thought. That happened in about 4 or 5 of my games last year.

Z
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't some college game this season had a tech called on them for the manager wiping up the floor?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I remember that happening last year with NC State.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
AAR, to answer your question, I have made it a practice to avoid formulating what I think OUGHT to be. All that does is get me in trouble. Regardless of my opinion, the rules and interps are what they are, and it is to my advantage to just shut down my prescriptive mode, and stick to the reality of the sitch. Emotionally, this is more adaptive, more practical, more manageable.

NOTE: I'm talking about basketball rules only. I don't apply this pragmatism to all areas of my life! My kids are very well acquainted with my OUGHTs in their lives!
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
AAR, to answer your question, I have made it a practice to avoid formulating what I think OUGHT to be. All that does is get me in trouble. Regardless of my opinion, the rules and interps are what they are, and it is to my advantage to just shut down my prescriptive mode, and stick to the reality of the sitch. Emotionally, this is more adaptive, more practical, more manageable.

I was just curious because I would like to communicate with the NFHS on this.

NOTE: I'm talking about basketball rules only. I don't apply this pragmatism to all areas of my life! My kids are very well acquainted with my OUGHTs in their lives!
As they should be!
AAR
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

I like your style rainmaker.