The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19337-delay-game.html)

Almost Always Right Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:50am

Do any of you believe that a delay of game(warning, penalty, etc.) should be added for any delays that the game should incur for water being on the floor after a time-out? Specifically a :30 TO.
I cannot find a reference to this in any of my material.
AAR

Redhouse Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:08pm

I wouldn't. I would just ask someone to clean it up and get all of the players on the floor.

Now, if the coach is using that to have extra time with their team then I would say something to the coach about having everyone ready to play by the time the 2nd horn sounds.

zebraman Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Almost Always Right
Do any of you believe that a delay of game(warning, penalty, etc.) should be added for any delays that the game should incur for water being on the floor after a time-out? Specifically a :30 TO.
I cannot find a reference to this in any of my material.
AAR

Interesting thought. That happened in about 4 or 5 of my games last year.

Z

FrankHtown Fri Mar 25, 2005 01:02pm

Didn't some college game this season had a tech called on them for the manager wiping up the floor?

brianp134 Fri Mar 25, 2005 01:04pm

I remember that happening last year with NC State.

rainmaker Fri Mar 25, 2005 01:47pm

AAR, to answer your question, I have made it a practice to avoid formulating what I think OUGHT to be. All that does is get me in trouble. Regardless of my opinion, the rules and interps are what they are, and it is to my advantage to just shut down my prescriptive mode, and stick to the reality of the sitch. Emotionally, this is more adaptive, more practical, more manageable.

NOTE: I'm talking about basketball rules only. I don't apply this pragmatism to all areas of my life! My kids are very well acquainted with my OUGHTs in their lives!

Almost Always Right Fri Mar 25, 2005 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
AAR, to answer your question, I have made it a practice to avoid formulating what I think OUGHT to be. All that does is get me in trouble. Regardless of my opinion, the rules and interps are what they are, and it is to my advantage to just shut down my prescriptive mode, and stick to the reality of the sitch. Emotionally, this is more adaptive, more practical, more manageable.

I was just curious because I would like to communicate with the NFHS on this.

NOTE: I'm talking about basketball rules only. I don't apply this pragmatism to all areas of my life! My kids are very well acquainted with my OUGHTs in their lives!

As they should be!
AAR

PS2Man Fri Mar 25, 2005 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

I like your style rainmaker.