The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Man, how about that finish of the NC St. / UCONN game. That no call on that player control at about the 1 min mark, WOW. My guess was trail was straightlined and slot was looking elsewhere or vice versa? Could have happend to any of us. What a finish though. Great example of how lightning fast things can happen.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Larksie, you are obviously a great human being possessing the uncommon ability to see the truth in all situations. Unlike some of the other riff-raff that wanders by.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/19231
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, you two should get a room.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Let's forget the phantom palming called on NCST on the next possession.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Let's forget the phantom palming called on NCST on the next possession.
OK, you got 5 pts in exchange for losing the ball once.

Not a bad deal, eh?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I thought this thread was going to be about that 3 point shot that went in with that NC St. guy hangin' on the rim.
What happened there? I am still astounded by that no call.
Once again - My perfect record from the couch stays intact!!
AAR
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I beat you to it by a couple of hours, big guy. It's in another thread though.

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...1&pagenumber=2

Nevadaref

Mar 22nd, 2005 05:05 AM
How about the two BI decisions in the first half. The tip in by UConn that was waved off, which I believe was right by rule because half of the ball was in the cylinder, and the 3-pt shot by NC St. at the 3:51 mark for which another NC St. player ran in from the top of the key and pulled the rim down as the ball went into the basket. The officials allowed that basket to count!

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the second play on this forum. Unless, of course, I missed it.

Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Well, I just finished watching the UConn/NC St. game quite carefully on video tape. All I can say is WOW. Sadly, I felt that the officiating was not very good. Three specific calls have already been mentioned in this thread. There were others too.
I doubt that any of these three guys will advance in the tournament.
Officials: Curtis Shaw, Ed Hightower, Steve Olson
We'll see if the NCAA agree with me.

I'll add one thing that others may not have noticed. On the play with 1:12 remaining and what most feel was a missed PC foul against NC St. up high in the C's primary area, Hightower dropped down toward the endline during the original shot and was a bit delayed in moving back up. He appears to get screened out by an NC St. player in his view of the crash. Also, on the replay during the later UConn FTs, the Lead is visible rotating over to Hightower's side. He never sees him. He actually should have been moving all the way out to the T position. I'm not sure the T saw the L go either because he never comes down into the screen. After the 3 pointer is made and UConn is bringing the ball the other way, the old T is the new L, Hightower is still the C (he calls the next foul on NC St), and we never see what happened to the old L. Did he go back to fix the missed rotation?
The play was quite out of whack.

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Just an unfortunate situation with the player control. Why oh why does the player never miss the shot in that situation?

Put me in the minority on the carry. Looked clear as day to me to be a travel. It's about the tenth carry/DD I've seen called so far in the tournament. Clearly someone got a memo.

On the basket interference on the three point shot, plainly there was a violation, but the ball was down. Player saved from his own stupidity by the absence of a call, but really not any additional disadvantage.

Tough game for those guys. At some point, though, going to the big picture, the better team on that particular day did win. Even on the player control, the guy still had to make the shot. Rationalizing? Maybe.

[Edited by rulesmaven on Mar 25th, 2005 at 01:54 PM]
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

I'll add one thing that others may not have noticed. On the play with 1:12 remaining and what most feel was a missed PC foul against NC St. up high in the C's primary area, Hightower dropped down toward the endline during the original shot and was a bit delayed in moving back up. He appears to get screened out by an NC St. player in his view of the crash.
Crash? I remember it as a solid elbow, not a crash. Was there another PC missed?

In any event, it was clear Hightower was screened out on that play. It happens. But IMO the T could have taken that, it was a game saver.

BTW, I didn't record the game & I'm wondering if you saw NC State's illegal screen leading to the 3 just prior to the elbow that I mentioned in the other thread on this? On the replay did you think it was a good no-call?