Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
If the T is opposite the Table when the timeout request was granted, the ensuing throw-in will be start at the free throw lane extended opposite the Table.

If the T is Table-side when the timeout request was granted, the ensuing throw-in will be start at the free throw lane extended Table-side.

MTD, Sr.
Is this based on anything in a rule book or a mechanics book or is this just how it is done in your area?

Z
No, there is nothing to support MTD's claim.

7-5-7 says ANYWHERE along the endline. If the throwing team requests a side, there is no rule support to deny that request.

The fact that a timeout has been granted does not mean that a switch or in the case of this play a rotation should occur.

The procedure that I described in my initial post still allows the team making the throw-in to make its throw-in from anywhere along the baseline. This procedure is applicable whether the officiating crew is a two-person or three-person crew.

Watch the NCAA Tournament games this weekend and you will see that the procedure I described will be the one will be used.

MTD, Sr.
If they have a play set up tableside and T was opposite the table you are forcing an OOB pass to use their play.

You still have not given a rule or manual citation to say the officials dictate the starting spot.

Once again there is no rule support to deny a request for a starting spot by the throwing team.

BZ:

No matter whether the game is being played under NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, of FIBA, there are no circumstances where the team dictates where it wants the ball to be inbounded.

Like I said watch the games this weekend.

MTD, Sr.
The original post speaks of a TO request before the ball is at the disposal, this is not like team A has the ball and a 5 second count has begun. Under those conditions A1 can grab the ball and take it to either side to begin the throw-in.

My feeling is the starting spot should be closest to where the ball was at the time of the request and if it is directly below the basket I'd give team A the option if asked, "Where is the throw-in spot?"

Let's test your mechanic. Team A takes the ball OOB after the made basket and begins the throw-in opposite the new T, then a TO is requested. Your mechanic now changes the starting spot from the location of the ball when the TO was granted to the opposite side of the lane.

I seriously doubt I see that done this weekend.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
While I agree with MTD that the officials should be in the same positions when resuming play after the timeout but it is not etched in stone that the officials MUST stay.

Remember, the mechanics manual allows us to make adjustments.

I would grant the coach's wish and give the ball to his team on whichever side he wants. I do so as a courtesy, because it is not prohibited by rule, and is just good game management.

No reason to alienate a coach on such a trivial matter. Would I ruin a great game because I am too RIGID in my mechanics, or by flaunting my rules knowledge, just so I don't have to walk an extra 15 feet to resume play? Not in a million years.

(jpg of a guy in a toga stabbing another guy in a toga in the back)

Et tu, Daryl?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
[No matter whether the game is being played under NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, of FIBA, there are no circumstances where the team dictates where it wants the ball to be inbounded.
Hmmmmm. . . .

NCAA 7-5-10 (Men): After an intentional technical foul or a flagrant technical foul, any team member of the offended team may attempt the free throws and the ball shall be put back in play by any player of that team from a designated spot at the division line at either side of the playing court.

Chuck:

Your correct and I should receive ten lashes with a wet noodle for forgetting. Since the NCAA uses the point-of-interuption for just about all technical fouls, I just simply forgot. Thanks.

Mark
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
[No matter whether the game is being played under NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, of FIBA, there are no circumstances where the team dictates where it wants the ball to be inbounded.
Hmmmmm. . . .

NCAA 7-5-10 (Men): After an intentional technical foul or a flagrant technical foul, any team member of the offended team may attempt the free throws and the ball shall be put back in play by any player of that team from a designated spot at the division line at either side of the playing court.

Chuck:

Your correct and I should receive ten lashes with a wet noodle for forgetting. Since the NCAA uses the point-of-interuption for just about all technical fouls, I just simply forgot. Thanks.

Mark
Make it 20.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

What good is 10 or 20 lashes to MTD when Juulie already had me stabbing him in the back. I didn't get to be LEADER by only administering lashes (notice I didn't say spankings).
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
While I agree with MTD that the officials should be in the same positions when resuming play after the timeout but it is not etched in stone that the officials MUST stay.

Remember, the mechanics manual allows us to make adjustments.

I would grant the coach's wish and give the ball to his team on whichever side he wants. I do so as a courtesy, because it is not prohibited by rule, and is just good game management.

No reason to alienate a coach on such a trivial matter. Would I ruin a great game because I am too RIGID in my mechanics, or by flaunting my rules knowledge, just so I don't have to walk an extra 15 feet to resume play? Not in a million years.

(jpg of a guy in a toga stabbing another guy in a toga in the back)

Et tu, Daryl?
Great insight Juulie. Most people know of Brutus in the plot to kill Julius Caesar. I bet they don't know his co-conspirator was a man named Longinus.

disclaimer; Any similarities in the last name in no way implicates any person now living or appearing on the Officials Forum and is purely a coincidence.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
What good is 10 or 20 lashes to MTD when Juulie already had me stabbing him in the back. I didn't get to be LEADER by only administering lashes (notice I didn't say spankings).
How about spankings in fishnets?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
How about spankings in fishnets?
Mark, puleeze, find those meds. Do I need to call Mary?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 04:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Most people know of Brutus in the plot to kill Julius Caesar. I bet they don't know his co-conspirator was a man named Longinus.

[/B][/QUOTE]Ah, Longinus. Very famous inventor too. He invented an excellent early method of keeping time.

Yup, saw one of those Longinus sundials in a museum once. Man, musta been hard though, running around with one of those heavy things strapped on your wrist.And trying to keep it wound all the time too?

Btw, Brutus really was a backstabber.Who can forget all of the snide remarks he made about Longius? He said -- "Longinus? Now there's a dude that don't know whether to sh*t or wind his watch!".