The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
I ref mostly in Nebraska and some in Iowa. Both of these states run with 2 man crews{in high school}.I have been to a few national camps where they have talked about working with 3 man crews for high school games. Does anyone what the ratio is between states that work 2 man compared to states that run 3 man?? After working many 3 man games in college-I do believe that at least 4 the larger schools; 3 man crews would be a much better situation. Please post your state and what type of crews you run with. THANKS!! ---Can we cover all 50 states from here?

[Edited by BOBBYMO on Mar 7th, 2001 at 08:58 PM]
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ga, we run 3 man for all our varsity HS that my assoc covers
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 11:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Might need to rephase the question.

You might need to ask in a different way. At least in the state of Illinois is just depends. We only have 2 classes (A-small schools, AA-bigger schools). It depends in this state on several factors. I grew up in West Central Illinois, and many of those schools which happen to be Class A are almost entirely 3 man games. But they usually have the officials do a JV game, then the varsity after. I have been doing this for the majority of my 5 years in officiating. Now over 2 years ago, I moved to the Chicago area, and almost all the varsity games that I did were 2 man (I only do boys games). Now the post-season is 3 man in both boys and girls basketball. But the regular season is going to vary depending on some conferences or individual schools or even assignors.

So at least in Illinois, it is a hybrid until you get to the post season. But many of those conferences that I will be working next year are going to 3 man next year. So that is the direction the state is taking and the conferences are following.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Colorado does 2 man. Three man has been experimented with bugt I don't think it will take off. Not until Colorado does better then 49th in the country on money spent per child in school.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Three Man in Ohio

In Ohio, the decision to go (or not to go) to three man coverage is left to each league. The vast majority of the larger-school leagues are now three man for boys, and the smaller schools are steadily moving that way, too. As far as I know, all the girls' games are two man until mid-way through the post-season tournament.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

3-person crew

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum (lurked for a while). I have enjoyed the comments/discussion so I decided to take the plunge!. I am in the Northern Virginia area and my association (350 officials) is the largest in this area. We cover about 75 schools -- freshman, JV, varsity, and Recreation ball. The schools in Va. are classified A, AA, or AAA (depending on school enrollment). Girls A & AA previously participated in the Fall, but begining next school year will move to "winter" ball. We have used 3-person crew for all District, Region, and State tournaments. This year, we went to regular season 3-person varsity crews in mid-January. We are hoping next year to go to 3-person at the varsity level for the whole season. Some of the Districts have always insisted on 3-person crews all year. The remaining Districts have "discussed" doing this, but so far it has been a $$$ issue.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

In Northern California, almost all the leagues use 2-person mechanics during the regular season. Once we get to the state tournament, however, we start using 3-person for both boys and girls.

Is this common in other states? One thing I do not like about this system is that teams are used to 2 refs all year, and the playoff officials have worked 2-person all year - then at the end of the year, we all of a sudden throw 3-person into the mix. I'm not quite sure that is fair to either the officials or the teams.

If the leagues had the money, I think most would choose to work 3-person all year, but we are lucky to get paid fair with just 2 officials...
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question Re: Three Man in Ohio

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
In Ohio......As far as I know, all the girls' games are two man until mid-way through the post-season tournament.
Now I find that interesting. I live about 20 minutes outside of Cleveland, and being a first year official I try and stay to watch the V games after all my JV games (ya never know when the opportunity will present itself...). Anyway, every game I've seen, girls or boys, has been 3-person mechanics - at least at the V level.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

In South Carolina we do 3 man for varsity games. The consequence to 3 man is the fee per official drops. We only get $45 for 2 varsity games (girls and boys).
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

The ohio mechanics vary by region.

Here in the lovely capital city all varsity uses 3 man. The only exception is some conferences still use two man for their girls. And I was under the impression all tourney games were three.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, to use expense as a reason not to have three man is weak.

Most schools have 10 home games, give or take one or two. If the varsity fee is $45, then that is only $900 more per year to take varsity to three man. You cannot tell me they can't scrape up an extra $1000 per year to handle varsity games properly. At worst riase the gate a quarter a ticket, it will more than make up the diff.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

If you're curious...in Atlantic Canada 3-whistle mechanics are only used at the University level. Small colleges and below all use 2-whistle and each level seems to use a different set of rules. This year I am responsible for knowing 4 sets of rules!!! The 2-whistle system at the college level and the AAA high school is very challenging. The schools just don't want to spend the extra $$$.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 03:29pm
Suppref

Thumbs up Ct respond

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
I ref mostly in Nebraska and some in Iowa. Both of these states run with 2 man crews{in high school}.I have been to a few national camps where they have talked about working with 3 man crews for high school games. Does anyone what the ratio is between states that work 2 man compared to states that run 3 man?? After working many 3 man games in college-I do believe that at least 4 the larger schools; 3 man crews would be a much better situation. Please post your state and what type of crews you run with. THANKS!! ---Can we cover all 50 states from here?

[Edited by BOBBYMO on Mar 7th, 2001 at 08:58 PM]
In Southern Ct most game are 2 man although all inter-city game are 3 man. Some of the schools use 3 man on their own. All semi-finals and finals of our county are 3 man. I'm almost sure that the semis and finals of the states are going to 3 man this year.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

In Northern Nevada we have 3 classifications, 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A. All 4A schools have 3 person crews for Varsity boys and girls games. All post season games are covered with 3 person crews for sectionals and state tournaments.

Old Thu Mar 08, 2001, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ct respond

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
I'm almost sure that the semis and finals of the states are going to 3 man this year.
Yup, changed just this year - it used to be just finals were 3-man.

The part of CT I'm from, it used to be school's call (some of the big games would be 3-man), but this season, every regular game except for one was 2-man, although it seems like the assignors have been sending alternate refs to each game.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Oklahoma uses 3-man for 5A and 6A (64 largest schools in state)but uses 2-man for class B thru class 4A.