The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

In Kansas it is left up to the leagues to decide how many refs during the regular season. All post-season tourneys (regional, sub-state & state) are 3-man crews for both boys and girls varsity. Most of the larger leagues (3A thru 6A) use 3 officials for all varsity games. Some of the 1A & 2A schools use 3-man but most use 2 officials. I've also heard that a few of the larger schools in the Wichita area are using 3 officials for some Jr. High games. Must be nice!
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

In Utah it is all 2-man. Two seasons ago there was talk of going to 3-man, but it got shot down. Rumor has it that two things were to blame--$$$ and the small schools in the state feeling like they would get the leftover officials after the big schools got the best ones.

I hope we can get it pushed through in the next couple of years. The game needs it.

[Edited by Kelly Kinghorn on Mar 13th, 2001 at 07:12 PM]
Old Fri Mar 09, 2001, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Here in southtern West Virginia it is about all 3-man even girls games. Because no matter what size the school or whether it is boys or girls it is still better court coverage. About everyone in my chapter insists on 3-man.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2001, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gymrat
In South Carolina we do 3 man for varsity games. The consequence to 3 man is the fee per official drops. We only get $45 for 2 varsity games (girls and boys).
WOW! What a difference crossing the northern border makes!

In NC, all schools are required by the NCHSAA to use 3 man crews for varsity games. We get $70 to work a girls and boys doulbeheader. But that's a flat rate. We don't receive any travel pay.

Our association has just finished our second year of officiating JV games with three officials. It's a great training tool for the up and coming officials. They get $60 for a JV doubleheader.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 10, 2001, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

In Indiana, the state tournaments use only 2 offocials. However, there are a few conferences that require 3 officials for varsity games. I believe that most of these still hire a separate 2-man crew for the JV game.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2001, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

WISCONSIN

For the most part, it is 2-person crews; including the play-offs and state level games. However, I have been told, by other officials, that the Metro area around Milwaukee does use 3-person crews during conference play.

I am not aware of the pay structure for Varsity level games. I do know that this varies between conferences (Some pay a flat fee, no travel, etc...). For lower level games, we individually solicit contracts and these fees vary from as low as $15 for Middle School - $30 for Junior Varsity.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2001, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In Oregon, all Jr Hi and HS ball is 2-whistle right up through the state championship. We will probably never go to 3-whistle, if given the choice and what I hear is that $$$ is the reason.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2001, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I have lived in different parts of Alaska, and I have seen two and three man mechanics, Some areas due to the shortage of officials, they are limited to 2 man.

AK ref SE
Old Tue Mar 13, 2001, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
3-man in high school

BobbyMo,

Well, you bring up a very hot issue right now in high school sports. I am a basketball referee in Michigan and we are currently in the 3-man crew toss right now. Here in Michigan there about 10 conferences that require 3-man crews for the varsity games. And some conferences, leave it up to the crews themselves as to whether tto bring a third man or night. In the palyoffs, the first two rounds of playoffs are done with 2-man crews. The third, fourth, and final rounds are officiated by 3-man crews. Right now, we are asking that all basketball playoffs be officiated by 3-man crews. We will see what happens.

Jtsref
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
In texas, we have gone to three person mechanics in all of our major Tournaments. (5a our largest division) and in district play the coaches have voted it in in some areas of 4a as well as all of the 5a districts statewide if I am not mistaken. The game is advancing to the level of the need for three person, and I believe that eventually we need all levels to go to it. I believe that one major obstacle is the one of cost to a lot of these smaller schools, thay just cannot afford the extra $45 for the third official, plus numbers are down for officials in my state and nationwide. Let's recruit people!! Just my 2 cents.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 04:55pm
Suppref

How many home games are there?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
In texas, we have gone to three person mechanics in all of our major Tournaments. (5a our largest division) and in district play the coaches have voted it in in some areas of 4a as well as all of the 5a districts statewide if I am not mistaken. The game is advancing to the level of the need for three person, and I believe that eventually we need all levels to go to it. I believe that one major obstacle is the one of cost to a lot of these smaller schools, thay just cannot afford the extra $45 for the third official, plus numbers are down for officials in my state and nationwide. Let's recruit people!! Just my 2 cents.
During our season each school has 10 to 15 home games. Our fee is $65 and change. That's $650 to $975 thruough the couse of the season. Each school charges admission and usually sell concessions is it really a money issue? Or due the old school AD's and coaches just refuse to conform? Sorry to vent but if the personel is available we should work!!
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

North Carolina uses 3 man crews for HS varisty. JV and anything lower is 2 man. Fee is $70.00 for 2 games (girls & boys)
Majority of AAU ball is 2 man, but some tournaments are going to 3 man.
I would be interested in the data you gather.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2001, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

In the greater San Antonio, TX area we went to three-person mechanics for ALL 4A and 5A games this year (non-district, district, and playoffs). 1A, 2A, and 3A all use three-person for the state tournament (final four).

The coaches (i think) and officials both felt like the move improved the quality of officiating for those games. In order to facilitate the move, most officials were scheduled to work two games (9th or JV - 2 person and stay for Varsity - 3 person).

Jake
Old Fri Mar 16, 2001, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

3 man in high school

In iaabo board 12 ,we use 3 person for D.C. boys/girls and our private schools in the area.