Thread: AAU
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

RefTN,
If a coach can't get the best out of his players without swearing at them, then he should be in college. I've seen coaches chew their kids out, and it's usually very contructive. However, I'm not going to sit by and listen to him swear a blue streak on my court. If he's yelling at his players, I'll warn him once. And if he's screaming at his kids, you can darn sure bet my bench decorum rule will be strictly enforced.
The reason for that is simple, and one I've learned from experience. If he's up screaming at his kids, then he's far more likely to try to coach me the same way. The only way for me to control it is to make sure he knows that I'm going to enforce his limits.
Best girls coaches I saw this past season were both up yelling at their kids. They were both willing to chew some kids out when they needed it; and they both focused entirely on the kids and only occasionally pleaded for a call. One was a former D-1 (Big 12) player who did an incredible job, IMO, of coaching his select teams. The other happened to be a Dad coaching his daughter's freshman team.