The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

I just finished my first ever adult,(or so they said) Church tournament. I'll never make the mistake of taking those games again. They can't pay enough. No one knows the rules (except 2 former college players that were a breath of fresh air the 2 times I had them), everyone whines and moans, no one can move to play legal defense, and of course it was our fault that every team that lost, lost. I saw the warnings on the forum, I should have listened. I had a moment of weakness when I was driven by greed and the quick money this tournament offered. I'm going for a beer.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 05:06pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I'm going for a beer.
It never hurts in a siutation like this! At least you made it out.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I Feel Your Pain

Several years ago, I agreed to officiate an alumni tournament at our local high school. Most verbal abuse I've taken since my wife accused me of not paying enough attention to her.

Haven't made either mistake again.

Sven
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 09:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Re: I Feel Your Pain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Most verbal abuse I've taken since my wife accused me of not paying enough attention to her.
Sven
Really? She's always been nice to me. :
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: Re: I Feel Your Pain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Most verbal abuse I've taken since my wife accused me of not paying enough attention to her.
Sven
Really? She's always been nice to me. :
I really really want to add a comment here but I'm going to choose the high road.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Men's league did me in. After a particularly bad experience a couple of weeks ago, I'm shutting it down and re-evaluating whether or not I ever want to officiate another basketball game. I'll see how I feel after going to a clinic in the summer and when next season approaches, but as of right now, I don't particularly care to ever pick up the whistle again.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain. I almost felt the same way yesterday when i finished. I'm just going to never work adults again and get ready for the real season next winter. I'm sure going to clinics and camps will help. It's always good to hear from people who actually know the game and what we're trying to do.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Men's league did me in. After a particularly bad experience a couple of weeks ago, I'm shutting it down and re-evaluating whether or not I ever want to officiate another basketball game. I'll see how I feel after going to a clinic in the summer and when next season approaches, but as of right now, I don't particularly care to ever pick up the whistle again.
Nahhhhhhh, don't let those whiney recleague adults ruin your fun. Unless you don't have fun in other games too then don't quit.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

never again

I just started softball after ending basketball this month. I am astonished and amazed at the difference in the fans, player, and coaches. Basketball people are neanderthals. When coaches in SB have a question, they politely ask you for a ruling or ask you to ask for help-rather than questioning me and my sexual orientation, my family tree, etc. . I will do basketball again but softball is so much more pleasant and enjoyable. And yes I have worked a game with the village idiot and all he did was ask for my INTERP on a call I made against his team. In comparsion in basketball I have been locked out of locker room so all the parents could come by and take a shot a verbal shot at us while we waited for the losing coach to let us back in.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

No way, never again, not gonna do it, can't make me so stop asking. I WILL NOT do a men's league game again and I'll sit down and explain my reasoning to any friend who thinks it's something they want to try. The players are idiots, the fans are idiots and if the team has a designated coach, he's an idiot. I used to play these leagues and I think I was even an idiot.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not so fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I just started softball after ending basketball this month. I am astonished and amazed at the difference in the fans, player, and coaches. Basketball people are neanderthals. When coaches in SB have a question, they politely ask you for a ruling or ask you to ask for help-rather than questioning me and my sexual orientation, my family tree, etc. . I will do basketball again but softball is so much more pleasant and enjoyable. And yes I have worked a game with the village idiot and all he did was ask for my INTERP on a call I made against his team. In comparsion in basketball I have been locked out of locker room so all the parents could come by and take a shot a verbal shot at us while we waited for the losing coach to let us back in.
I was working a Men's Fast Pitch Softball tournament several years ago. I believe the bases were empty. I was the BU and there was fly ball hit to RF. As the ball approached the fielder, the fielder had the ball first hit is glove, bounce off the glove, hit is other hand, then his chest, then the ground. He fell to the ground and it was hard to tell at first if he caught the ball. When he reached for the ball on the ground and held up the ball after he was lying on his back, I ruled a no catch. By the time all that happened, the batter had pretty much reached home on an in the park home run. The team in the field argued emphatically that he caught the ball. They even told me "the ground cannot cause a fumble." Being a football official as well, I was in shock. This was just not a simple argument, you would have thought they were very knowledable of the rules by the way they were trying to tell me how much I missed this call.

That was the last time I worked Men's slow pitch softball.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not so fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I was working a Men's Fast Pitch Softball tournament several years ago. I believe the bases were empty. I was the BU and there was fly ball hit to RF. As the ball approached the fielder, the fielder had the ball first hit is glove, bounce off the glove, hit is other hand, then his chest, then the ground. He fell to the ground and it was hard to tell at first if he caught the ball. When he reached for the ball on the ground and held up the ball after he was lying on his back, I ruled a no catch. By the time all that happened, the batter had pretty much reached home on an in the park home run. The team in the field argued emphatically that he caught the ball. They even told me "the ground cannot cause a fumble." Being a football official as well, I was in shock. This was just not a simple argument, you would have thought they were very knowledable of the rules by the way they were trying to tell me how much I missed this call.

That was the last time I worked Men's slow pitch softball.

Peace
Did you say it was fast pitch, slow pitch or both? LOL
Last summer I worked slow pitch 1-2 night per week and decided that it would not be worth it this year.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Easy there!

I'll be in the minority on here, but I don't mind men's league games. They test your patience & game management skills big time! If you can manage a men's league game...with all the whining, complaining, and rules' kings...then you can just about manage anything!

I use these games as a GREAT opportunity to learn how to call T's that help my game. It usually works! By establishing you know the rules and you aren't going to take any crap, guys tend to shut up & play...even if it's after you call a few T's!!

Last week, I did a game that included the biggest whining & complaining team in the league. All the regular officials HATE this team. Since I am a fill-in for the last few weeks of the tournament, I told the regulars that I'd be happy to take their game. They looked at me like I was crazy and said, "SURE! Be our guest!!" After calling several fouls on them, and putting my whistle in my mouth and staring down the worst whiner on the team after he had complained about an easy call against him, they decided that they didn't want any piece of me! They played ball. And, since they are a decent team when they actually PLAY, they blew the other team out by 35. Plus, we didn't have any problems.

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Mar 21st, 2005 at 03:46 PM]
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I have to agree with Indy_Ref, mens league is the best place to work on game management, T administration as well as other things. Yes they do whine, but it has given me tougher skin to deal with high school.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I have to agree with Indy_Ref, mens league is the best place to work on game management, T administration as well as other things. Yes they do whine, but it has given me tougher skin to deal with high school.
Ditto. They're certainly morons, has-beens and wannabe's but...

After working a number of them organized school ball has become a lot easier for me. Same with weekend tournaments with the "my kid who'll enter the NBA draft after 9th grade" parents and coaches. Which the worst is the parent whom IS the coach!

Rec League would suck for an under 25 yr old I think but for 30 and over who are just starting to officiate, I think they are a good initial training ground.

If you can walk out of a league game with your senses intact, you did a good job.