The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

If he said something that warranted a T, fine. They did show a replay that had a closeup of the kid almost immediately after the foul call and you could tell he didn't say anything from the start of the closeup until the tech call, but it is possible that he said something instantly after the call.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm away for a few days and all you do while I'm gone is debate technical fouls. What a time to take a vacation.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

First off, he needs to head to the bench because he had picked up his 5th foul. Secondly, I understand this is a big game, but I don't think we should change what we expect for sportsmanship just because it is. We are expected to work our best game and be professional every night, why are players and coaches not expected to do the same? When it is something obvious to everyone like pulling your shirt out on the floor, it needs to be addressed. I've always kind of looked at it as we don't give technicals, we assess them when they are earned.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
So much for the "worst technical ever" bullsh*t!

This story says the "T" was for cursing at the ref before he pulled the shirt out.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05079/474474.stm

Amazing what you find out when you you finally hear the official's side of a story.
AHEM! I believe SOMEBODYsuggested this in an earlier post!!

Man, I hate being right all the time!
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Secondly, I understand this is a big game, but I don't think we should change what we expect for sportsmanship just because it is. We are expected to work our best game and be professional every night, why are players and coaches not expected to do the same?
Agreed.

I think I mentioned this in another post but here goes anyway. In a state final that one of our crews worked, the score was 15-2. The trailing coach started to officiate. He was given a stop sign shortly there afterwards. A couple of minutes later, he asked, "Are you gonna call a ****ing travel?"

Whack.

The fact that we're playing on a bigger stage is not an issue.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 01:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
First off, he needs to head to the bench because he had picked up his 5th foul.
Not so. He may not know it's his 5th until he's told. Show me where it says that a player must go to his bench when his 5th foul has been whistled? Only a poor official will require a player to go to his bench before the foul has been reported, coach and player notified.

Quote:
Secondly, I understand this is a big game, but I don't think we should change what we expect for sportsmanship just because it is. We are expected to work our best game and be professional every night, why are players and coaches not expected to do the same? When it is something obvious to everyone like pulling your shirt out on the floor, it needs to be addressed. I've always kind of looked at it as we don't give technicals, we assess them when they are earned.
I agree that we don't give T's until they're earned. I also agree that coaches and players need to be respectful too. The player was respectful. Simply biting his shirt is an act where he gathered himself before anything else can happen. It sounds to me like he addressed it himself. Now, as for the alleged cursive language, that's my next reply...
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 01:27pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

This story says the "T" was for cursing at the ref before he pulled the shirt out.

Amazing what you find out when you you finally hear the official's side of a story.
Ah ha! I knew it! So the T was for language, not for biting his shirt.

See what you can do when you're retired?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

You are right, he doesn't have to go until he's told. I just skipped that part in my post. I should have been more specific.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

consider the source

"PIAA officials" - the same people that oversaw a full-scale brawl in the first half of a state championship without an ejection, then responded by moving inbound passes in front of a team's bench to one end or the other. JOKE
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
"PIAA officials" - the same people that oversaw a full-scale brawl in the first half of a state championship without an ejection, then responded by moving inbound passes in front of a team's bench to one end or the other. JOKE
You came back an entire year later to take a cheap shot and broadly smear an entire body of individuals?

Damn...I don't recall you being that beaten down & bitter...kinda sad.

Ah well.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

"PIAA officials"

I read this to mean not game officials, but officials in the organization that is the PIAA. I have always had some differences of opinion with that body. Of course, I've had a few with game officials, but nothing quite so philosophically different.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting how this thread pops up again, especially after how this past season the NF determined this exact situation to be a T.

Maybe it shows that in the previous season it may not have been that bad a call, but actually one the committe wanted called.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

That pretty much settles it. Self-control is a valuable commodity in tight games.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 06:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Interesting how this thread pops up again, especially after how this past season the NF determined this exact situation to be a T.

Maybe it shows that in the previous season it may not have been that bad a call, but actually one the committe wanted called.
I would agree. As I stated in my first post in this thread, it was a good T. Certainly the "shirt popping" the NCAA created had something to do with it as well. It's certainly unsportsmanlike.

I wasn't for sure what I missed whenever I saw this thread at the top... kind of sad it was bumped back to the top to take a shot at the organization.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 06:57pm

Many people bite their lip to prevent themselves from saying something.

Maybe this player bits his shirt. By biting his shirt, he could be preventing himself from verbalizing a profanity. Maybe it's his own preventative playing. I like to penalize the more obvious situations, such as profanity, punching the matts on a wall, hand gestures, or throwing a mouthguard at me.

Edit: Knowing now that the player cursed at the official, the T was the proper course of action. Once a player swears, the shirt biting is not meant to show up the official. It's just personal frustration by then.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 07:01pm.