The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Worst. Technical. Ever. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19208-worst-technical-ever.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Sat Mar 19, 2005 04:30pm

Pennsylvania AA state championship, about to end right now. York Catholic had a ten-point lead earlier in the quarter, but a nice press has Beaver Falls up 58-54. York Catholic misses a shot with 1:50 left and BF rebounds. A quick foul on a YC kid, turns out to be his fifth. He is of course frustrated, but rather than saying a word, or jumping up and down, he walks a couple steps away, pulls his shirt up and puts the bottom of it in his mouth exposing half his torso. His face is clearly showing frustration. Official calls a T. BF hits 4 of 4 then 1 of 2 on the ensuing possession, and the game is over.

Junker Sat Mar 19, 2005 04:36pm

Pulling your shirt out, in frustration, on the court is automatic around here and I would assume most places. The player needs to learn to keep his head and go to the bench. Good T in my book.

ChuckElias Sat Mar 19, 2005 04:44pm

I don't really have a problem with the T there. Not saying it's an automatic, but if the official felt it was warranted, it's kind of hard to argue when the kid is half undressed in response to the call.

tjones1 Sat Mar 19, 2005 05:11pm

I would agree it sounds like a good T. Just cause it's the championship game, doesn't excuse a player from committing unsportsmanlike conduct, which the official ruled it was.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Pennsylvania AA state championship, about to end right now. York Catholic had a ten-point lead earlier in the quarter, but a nice press has Beaver Falls up 58-54. York Catholic misses a shot with 1:50 left and BF rebounds. A quick foul on a YC kid, turns out to be his fifth. He is of course frustrated, but rather than saying a word, or jumping up and down, he walks a couple steps away, pulls his shirt up and puts the bottom of it in his mouth exposing half his torso. His face is clearly showing frustration. Official calls a T. BF hits 4 of 4 then 1 of 2 on the ensuing possession, and the game is over.

I am sure that Joe Willie is proud of is alma mater winning the state championship.

And I agree with the other posters regarding the technical foul.

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:42pm

No need for this T.

The official needs to recognize time, score and human emotion. A natural reaction is to be upset. However, he could have done much worse that would definitely be a T. He restrained himself, with the hope that his team could still have a chance.

The referee interfered in an unnecessary manner. Bad call.

Rich Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
No need for this T.

The official needs to recognize time, score and human emotion. A natural reaction is to be upset. However, he could have done much worse that would definitely be a T. He restrained himself, with the hope that his team could still have a chance.

The referee interfered in an unnecessary manner. Bad call.

Restrained himself by pulling his shirt up over his head, huh?

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:02pm

I don't read in the original post, Rich, where it said "over his head".

Fact is a many foul calls are accompanied by a look of frustration on a player's face. Including fouls called much earlier in the game. And then a T for eating his shirt?

BktBallRef Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:01am

As PA Coach was not on the floor or in the official's position, we do not know what might have also been said. I had one of these earlier in the year where the player said, "You need to call the ****ing foul." I heard and his coach heard it. I popped him, and his coacj sat him down. A football partner works at the same school, and told me that the kid had it coming, even though no one else heard it.

In short, we don't know what else might have transpired.

canuckrefguy Sun Mar 20, 2005 02:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Exactly. Maybe (and that's a big MAYBE) as described, it might not be "automatic", but I can easily see it being one of those reactions meant to show up the official.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 20, 2005 05:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
It seems to me that's true about so many situations here - especially the ones involving technical fouls.

I guess I will preface (unnecessarily) all future posts with, "...if that was all that happened. If other actions occured that we may not be aware of, I reserve the right to change my response."

It did say in the original text that not a word was spoken. Seeing that, we either:

<li>accept the poster's account that there was no verbal communication by the player</li>
- in this case I can't believe a T was issued to putting the bottom of your shirt in your mouth

<li>discount the poster's account and assume the possibility that something was verbalized</li>
- if this is the case, then why stop at the verbalization. Perhaps the poster didn't see the player flip the bird to the official. Maybe he 'grabbed himself'. Maybe this, maybe that.

We're now reading into the posts, folks. Most people discern that "walking away" means that the player is not hanging around the referee.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 20, 2005 05:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by Junker
The player needs to learn to keep his head and go to the bench. Good T in my book.
Not so. There is no requirement to go to the bench, until the referee tells the player's head coach and player, about the disqualification.

Neither of those events happened, therefore there is no requirement to do anything related to going to the bench.

MdSooner Sun Mar 20, 2005 06:15am

(JugglingReferee No need for this T.

The referee interfered in an unnecessary manner. Bad call. )

Just so Juggling doesnt feel alone - I too probably would not have a called a T in this situation.

ChrisSportsFan Sun Mar 20, 2005 09:39am

Coach, there's more to consider then just the shirt thing. Has he already been warned for smack talking, or for begging for calls? Who know?

Oh yea, there's been worse, I can assure you.

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 20, 2005 09:50am

So much for the "worst technical ever" bullsh*t!

This story says the "T" was for cursing <b>at</b> the ref <b>before</b> he pulled the shirt out.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05079/474474.stm

Amazing what you find out when you you finally hear the official's side of a story.