The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Former coach and regular pick-up player. Had a good debate today during our lunch-time run. I'm sure this is a question you guys know the answer to right off the top of your head.

Player makes a definite attempt at a shot (no debate about that). Ball hits nothing and bounces on other side of rim. Player who shot the ball hustles and is the first player to it. Is that a pass-to-self violation? Or is it play on?

Thanks,

Tim
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Play on. There's no rule in the book that mentions "pass to self" or "self pass." Once the player shoots, player control has ended and he may rebound with everyone else; even if it's an airball. If he gets the rebound, he may now dribble again, if he so desires.
The NBA, however, is an exception to this. A player may not retrieve his own airball in the NBA.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

In Federation (high school) rules, shooting the ball at the basket (called a "Try") allows you to go and get the ball if you miss, even if you have previously dribbled. There is no requirement to hit the rim. It is up to the official to judge whether the player was shooting or not. If the official deems the player was not shooting then you could have a travel (if the ball does not hit the floor) or a double dribble (if the ball does hit the floor but the player had already dribbled.)

In the NBA you must hit the rim. Not sure about NCAA.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks... More

What if the shot was not so clear-cut? Is it then a judgement call by official? Meaning: if official deems it a legitimate shot attempt then it's a free ball for all including shooter? But if official deems it an attempt to get out of trouble or the like, then it's a traveling(?) violation? Is that right?

Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

If the official judges that the player did not shoot but merely passed the ball then you could have:

1. Travelling if said player catches the ball before it touches the floor.

2. Double dribble if said player retrives the ball after it touches the floor if the player had already used his dribble. When the player threw the ball and it hit the floor, this constituted the start of a dribble.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Can't wait til next lunch run. Could've used you guys three hours ago.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockne33
No problem. BTW, our policy is we take 10% off the top of any money a person collects after consulting us on the airball question. It's how we pay for all the popcorn we consume around here.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
What's the game fee? Travel/expense money too?

Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

What's the worst game you ever worked? How much would it cost us to have you do a game ten times worse than that? Trust me, it's not pretty. The last thing we really need is an objective third party watching these games. On our own, we're able to selectively delude ourselves that the extra 40 pounds and 20 years haven't affected our games.`
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
What's the game fee? Travel/expense money too?

I'm in. I'd love to work with you, Dan. We can get Chuck to be U2.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
What's the worst game you ever worked? How much would it cost us to have you do a game ten times worse than that? Trust me, it's not pretty. The last thing we really need is an objective third party watching these games. On our own, we're able to selectively delude ourselves that the extra 40 pounds and 20 years haven't affected our games.`

Noooo, it can't be THAT bad!!!

Back In The Saddle quote:

Chuck won't work unless he's R. Some people are just that way, ya know what I mean.

Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Noooo, it can't be THAT bad!!!

Back In The Saddle quote:

Chuck won't work unless he's R. Some people are just that way, ya know what I mean.

Hmmm, no prob. We can just swap he and Juulie. She can be U2 and he can be cheerleader and wear the fishnets.