The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

All this happened over the weekend. I think I got it right but I don't have my books with me.

A1 passes the ball (in FC) to A2. B1 intercepts but doesn't gain control, ball is heading in the BC. A3 dives for ball and is now lowcrawling to get to it. She reaches the ball in the BC, is on her belly and taps the ball to A1 who gains control and continues play from there. I had nothing here. No BC, nor any violation for a travel.

Another game. A1 is passed the ball. He looses his balance and goes to a knee with one hand on the floor also. I had a travel. But did I blow this call since he hadn't started his dribble yet?

Both were good games and the calls came at a high tempo point. I had some spectator in the stands yell out that I blew the call (the first one) because he was an official and he knows the rules. I bit my tongue with him.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
If B1 tapped the ball into the BC before A2 touched it you got the first 1 right. And I'm not sure how you could get a travel out of that mess. Good no call.

You got the second call right too. But if A1 had started his dribble before his knee hit the floor then it's *not* a travel - can't travel while dribbling.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

In #1 as long as A3 did not touch it in the FC before gaining control in the BC or gain control during this "lowcrawling", you got it right.

In #2, a player holding the ball may not touch the floor with any body part except their hands or feet, so when the knee touched it's a travel.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,

The travel came from the Official in the stands. If I'm not mistaken she could have gained control stayed on her belly, passed, shot, or called a TO and I still wouldn't have a travel.

It was a 5th/6th girls game and the parents are the worst. Makes me wonder while I volunteer my time.

Dudly
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
Dan,

The travel came from the Official in the stands. If I'm not mistaken she could have gained control stayed on her belly, passed, shot, or called a TO and I still wouldn't have a travel.

You are not mistaken. And I figured the guy in the stands wanted you to call a travel on that ugly play. Goes to show just how good of an "official" he is. Ignore that type.
Quote:

It was a 5th/6th girls game and the parents are the worst. Makes me wonder while I volunteer my time.

Dudly
I know, it's sad. Kids at that level lose more good officials because of the crap their parents feel the need to dish out.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
In #2, a player holding the ball may not touch the floor with any body part except their hands or feet, so when the knee touched it's a travel.
Let's say we have a loose ball and players from both A and B are going after the ball. A2 secures the ball while kneeling on one or both knees and isn't making an attempt to stand up with the ball. A2 then passes the ball out to A3. Do you still have traveling? I see this a lot and saw it in a State Championship game this past weekend.

Is it different in Mens/Womens NCAA?
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Let's say we have a loose ball and players from both A and B are going after the ball. A2 secures the ball while kneeling on one or both knees and isn't making an attempt to stand up with the ball. A2 then passes the ball out to A3. Do you still have traveling? I see this a lot and saw it in a State Championship game this past weekend.

There is a difference between gaining possession with other than hand or foot on the floor and having possession and GOING to the floor.

What you described is not a travel.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
There is a difference between gaining possession with other than hand or foot on the floor and having possession and GOING to the floor.

What you described is not a travel. [/B]
There's also a difference between "going to a knee" in FED and NCAA.