The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.
The flop is considered to be an unsporting act penalized by a technical foul. The problem is I've never seen it called nor I have felt the need to call it. But the rule is in place.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, I found it in the 04-05 Points of Emphasis. Unfortunately, it is not called. Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65
Bob,
Welcome to the forum.
You must have been in the middle of the Lower Peninsula yesterday.
mick
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't matter if there was a rule or not. The official in your play made the wrong call because he wasn't officiating the defense. It has nothing to do with an existing rule or the need for a rule. Calling a flop a PC is just bad officiating.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, I found it in the 04-05 Points of Emphasis. Unfortunately, it is not called. Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65

Bob,
Houghton Lake - Tawas?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Hey Bob, experienced officials do not call a foul on slight contact.

Flop or not.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?
Bob,
Ex-troll raised in Fenton and went U.P. north.
My profile is U.P. to date. Houghton.

Oatmealqueen isn't far from you, though. You may even know her.

mick
[email protected]
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Thanks for all of your responses to this subject. I have not belonged to a forum like this before and feel a little intimidated right now. I will get more comfortable and participate a little more as time goes on. I live in Grayling and officiate in the nw part of the LP primarily. Would welcome correspondence to my email addy. [email protected]
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks for all of your responses to this subject. I have not belonged to a forum like this before and feel a little intimidated right now. I will get more comfortable and participate a little more as time goes on. I live in Grayling and officiate in the nw part of the LP primarily. Would welcome correspondence to my email addy. [email protected]
Oughta be pretty empty there this summer, I'll bet, with the National Guard doing other things in other places.

This place intimidating? Sometimes it's much more than that!

I wouldn't be the least surprised that you have seen oatmealqueen work.
mick
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Well, it has been empty at Camp for a couple of years. Its actually kind of nice if you don't depend upon the camp for a livelihood. By the way, I am registered for the Tournament Challenge as Michigan Stripes1950. I predict Florida all way!!!
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Bob,
Ex-troll raised in Fenton and went U.P. north.
My profile is U.P. to date. Houghton.

Oatmealqueen isn't far from you, though. You may even know her.

mick
[email protected]

Yes, I do know Bob.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Yes, I do know Bob.
very cool.