The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charge/Block? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19102-charge-block.html)

Stripes1950 Sun Mar 13, 2005 03:28pm

Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.

ref18 Sun Mar 13, 2005 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
Player A is driving with the ball. Player B sets for contact but contact is slight. B then throws his/her feet in the air and drops directly to the floor. This is an obvious flop. Experienced officials recognize this and do not call the player control foul. Usually, that player will not try it again but I would like to see this declared as unsportsmanlike and a personal foul. Just the act of placing the rule will help to clean this up.
The flop is considered to be an unsporting act penalized by a technical foul. The problem is I've never seen it called nor I have felt the need to call it. But the rule is in place.

Stripes1950 Sun Mar 13, 2005 03:42pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, I found it in the 04-05 Points of Emphasis. Unfortunately, it is not called. Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65

mick Sun Mar 13, 2005 03:59pm

Quote:

Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65
Bob,
Welcome to the forum.
You must have been in the middle of the Lower Peninsula yesterday.
mick

BktBallRef Sun Mar 13, 2005 04:00pm

I wouldn't matter if there was a rule or not. The official in your play made the wrong call because he wasn't officiating the defense. It has nothing to do with an existing rule or the need for a rule. Calling a flop a PC is just bad officiating.

oatmealqueen Sun Mar 13, 2005 07:29pm

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, I found it in the 04-05 Points of Emphasis. Unfortunately, it is not called. Yesterday, I witnessed a young official in a HS regional final make the charge call on a flop within the last two minutes of the game. It had a tremendous influence on the outcome. Player A put the ball in for a two pointer but it was waved off and the ball given to the defense. Final score, B 68 A 65

Bob,
Houghton Lake - Tawas?

Stripes1950 Sun Mar 13, 2005 09:06pm

Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?

Dan_ref Sun Mar 13, 2005 09:14pm

Quote:

Hey Bob, experienced officials do not call a foul on slight contact.

Flop or not.

mick Sun Mar 13, 2005 09:17pm

Quote:

Reply to Mick. Yes, I was in the middle of the LP. I live just north of there and try to make to as many playoff games as I can. I did not qualify for playoffs this year but hope to next year again. Should be lots of games available to get qualified. Are you a troll?
Bob,
Ex-troll raised in Fenton and went U.P. north.
My profile is U.P. to date. Houghton.

Oatmealqueen isn't far from you, though. You may even know her. ;)

mick
[email protected]

Stripes1950 Mon Mar 14, 2005 02:32pm

Thanks for all of your responses to this subject. I have not belonged to a forum like this before and feel a little intimidated right now. I will get more comfortable and participate a little more as time goes on. I live in Grayling and officiate in the nw part of the LP primarily. Would welcome correspondence to my email addy. [email protected]

mick Mon Mar 14, 2005 02:40pm

Quote:

Thanks for all of your responses to this subject. I have not belonged to a forum like this before and feel a little intimidated right now. I will get more comfortable and participate a little more as time goes on. I live in Grayling and officiate in the nw part of the LP primarily. Would welcome correspondence to my email addy. [email protected]
Oughta be pretty empty there this summer, I'll bet, with the National Guard doing other things in other places.

This place intimidating? Sometimes it's much more than that! :)

I wouldn't be the least surprised that you have seen oatmealqueen work.
mick

Stripes1950 Mon Mar 14, 2005 02:56pm

Well, it has been empty at Camp for a couple of years. Its actually kind of nice if you don't depend upon the camp for a livelihood. By the way, I am registered for the Tournament Challenge as Michigan Stripes1950. I predict Florida all way!!!

oatmealqueen Mon Mar 14, 2005 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Bob,
Ex-troll raised in Fenton and went U.P. north.
My profile is U.P. to date. Houghton.

Oatmealqueen isn't far from you, though. You may even know her. ;)

mick
[email protected]

Yes, I do know Bob.

mick Mon Mar 14, 2005 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Yes, I do know Bob.
very cool.