The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Sorry to use the forum for a personal message, but I sent you an email regarding the IAABO constitution. Did you receive it? If not, drop me an email, would you? I'd like your insight into a situation on my board and whether it's covered by the IAABO constitution. Thanks.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 05:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Sorry to use the forum for a personal message, but I sent you an email regarding the IAABO constitution. Did you receive it? If not, drop me an email, would you? I'd like your insight into a situation on my board and whether it's covered by the IAABO constitution. Thanks.

Chuck:

If you sent it to my Hotmail basketball account, no I did not get it. If you sent it to my Officiating.com account, I have not checked that one in a couple of days, but I will do so right now. Not a problem about using the forum.

Mark
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Mark, I didn't get an email from you, so I'll just post my question here. As a long-time IAABO guy, I need your expertise/insight.

We have a board member was accepted to a couple D1 NCAA conferences this season. She decided to take a year off from HS ball to focus on her college schedule, and so she went to inactive status this year.

Since she was inactive, she didn't attend any meetings of the board. But now our board secretary has told her that she could not be inactive while working for the NCAA, and is requiring her to pay fines for missing meetings, etc.

My question is whether IAABO's constitution says anything about this situation. Do you have to be completely inactive in order to qualify for inactive status for IAABO's purposes? That just doesn't seem right to me.

I mean, what if you're taking a couple years off to watch your kid play but want to help out with a kids' league that doesn't require an IAABO patch?

Any help on this? Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Mark, I didn't get an email from you, so I'll just post my question here. As a long-time IAABO guy, I need your expertise/insight.

We have a board member was accepted to a couple D1 NCAA conferences this season. She decided to take a year off from HS ball to focus on her college schedule, and so she went to inactive status this year.

Since she was inactive, she didn't attend any meetings of the board. But now our board secretary has told her that she could not be inactive while working for the NCAA, and is requiring her to pay fines for missing meetings, etc.

My question is whether IAABO's constitution says anything about this situation. Do you have to be completely inactive in order to qualify for inactive status for IAABO's purposes? That just doesn't seem right to me.

I mean, what if you're taking a couple years off to watch your kid play but want to help out with a kids' league that doesn't require an IAABO patch?

Any help on this? Thanks.
Chuck -- I'm totally uninformed about IAABO, but the other question in this sitch seems to be why she wasn't informed before the season started about what "inactive" status meant. I mean, I don't see how your secretary can tell the ref at the end of the season that she'll be fined for something she didn't know she was responsible for.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:30am
Do not give a damn!!

I am so glad that organization does not have a strangle hold on our area.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I mean, I don't see how your secretary can tell the ref at the end of the season that she'll be fined for something she didn't know she was responsible for.
It's all about easy money!
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I'm not an IAABO member, but that seems pretty harsh. Isn't there a "leave of absence" policy?

In our area, you can take a one-year leave and you aren't fined. Not only that, you hold your spot in the rankings for one year. The only thing you have to do is pay the yearly dues to stay active.

At the very least, the official should have been informed at the BEGINNING of the year about an repercussions.

Z
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My question is whether IAABO's constitution says anything about this situation.

My 3 cents...

While the constitution will be the final arbiter of this I have a little knowledge to add. I am a member of IAABO Board 255 (Cardinal Basketball Officials Assoc.) Prier to the start of this past season we had to modify “our” boards bylaes to allow members who also do NCAA to miss meetings without being fined. By this I would say that such attendance rules are optional at the individual board level.

I should add this caveat. While our board is a member of IAABO, membership is optional for each individual. IÂ’m a card-carrying member of IAABO but I do not wear the patch.

-snip- FWIW Removed my mistake, the patch is optional.

[Edited by recref on Mar 13th, 2005 at 08:55 PM]
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

bump. . .
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Although I'm not sure exactly what you can do about it now, as I don't have a copy of the IAABO constitution infront of me.

But to avoid this sort of problem in the future, I'd make a motion to amend your local boards constituion for next year, stating that NCAA officials who miss meetings shall not be penalized.

Bring it up at your next AGM, I can't think of a reason as to why it wouldn't pass.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Aren't the IAABO constitution & by-rules in the IAABO handbook?

This could very well be something found in your local board's constitution/by-rules, btw. IAABO does not mandate the business operations of each board.

In any event seems silly to fine her for missing meetings, at the most hit her up for her dues, based on the apparent confusion.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Well, whaddya know?!?! You're right. I had no idea. I've never bothered to look through the handbook, assuming it was just a big directory. But there it is. No by-laws, but the constitution is there. It makes no mention of inactive status. The only "classes of members" that are recognized are:

Active/Officiating
Active/Non-officiating
Dual
Provisional
IAABO Life
IAABO Honorary
Board Life
Board Honorary

Interesting. So this must be covered in our board by-laws, ok. Gotta talk to somebody else on the E-board, then. Thanks for the heads-up, Dan.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

This could very well be something found in your local board's constitution/by-rules, btw. IAABO does not mandate the business operations of each board.

In any event seems silly to fine her for missing meetings, at the most hit her up for her dues, based on the apparent confusion.
Slap the forehead, IÂ’ve got my 2003-2004 book here in my desk draw. New one is in my bag, but I would not think there is a difference.

Anyway; Article III, Section 9 (Bottom of page 18)
REQUIRED ATTENDANCE
All Active/Officiating (AO)...shall be required to attend not less than three meetings...

On the top of page 20 there is Section 19 that covers Right of Hearing. Basically a protest must be in writing and the official must be given time to prepare for the hearing. A quick read does not show who is doing the hearing.

Plus, I am taking this from the HS edition maybe the college edition has some overriding rules???
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:23pm
Administrator

Quote:

Chuck:

I just sent you an email concerning your Board's problem.

Mark
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio