The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Lanier S. Gwinette

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref

tomegun: I assume that you are in the ATL area. By chance, did youget out to see any of the games in Gwinette on Wednesday? If so, I was in the Sandy Creek-Tucker matchup. If you saw the game, give me your opinion on the officiating.

I was there for that game and the "inadvertant" whistle at the end of regulation with 5.6 seconds definitely sticks out in my mind. We were trying to figure out what it was for and after putting 2&2 together I came to the conclusion that the Tucker player was calling for a timeout while Sandy Creek had the ball. The official blew his whistle and I'm guessing realized that it was a Tucker player calling timeout. Luckily it didn't impact the end of the game because Sandy Creek turned the ball over. Is this what happened or was it something else?

The technical called on the Tucker guard was a good call (taunting) and the following technical on the coach probably made the game alot easier to manage! Tucker's coach thinks he's a ref during most of his games and forgets to actually "coach" his team. What did the Sandy Creek player say to get a technical?

I would have more for you but I've seen and refereed alot of basketball since Wednesday and it's all running together!
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Louis William sure can go! Maybe best player in country??? Going to either NBA or Georgia. If it's Georgia, watch out for Georgia next year.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

cford:

The T on the Tucker player was for taunting. I did not call that T or the one against the coach. The inadvertent whistle was just as you indicated....Tucker asked for the TO but did not have the ball. Other than the inadvertent whistle, I felt very good about the officiating job we did. Thanks for the reply.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
The inadvertent whistle was just as you indicated....Tucker asked for the TO but did not have the ball. Other than the inadvertent whistle, I felt very good about the officiating job we did. Thanks for the reply.
5.8.3 Situation E - "...The time-out once granted can not be revoked and is charged...."

Are you saying the inadvertent whistle was not "a granting of a time-out" eventhough the whistle was blown in recognition of the request?

mick
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mick:

The whistle was indeed sounded due to the verbal requesting of the time-out erroneously as stated previously. The official, after realizing the mistake, explained why the stoppage of play occurred. The result was that the team originally requesting the time-out got a chance to call it becasue of the dead ball situation afterall. Mental error/ loss of concentration the culprit.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick:

The whistle was indeed sounded due to the verbal requesting of the time-out erroneously as stated previously. The official, after realizing the mistake, explained why the stoppage of play occurred. The result was that the team originally requesting the time-out got a chance to call it becasue of the dead ball situation afterall. Mental error/ loss of concentration the culprit.
Thanks, South GA BBall Ref,
I have bought that T-shirt.
mick
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

having the chance to still request the timeout because of the dead ball situation doesn't matter does it? Once we stop play to grant the timeout, the timeout must be granted. Or, am I wrong here?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
having the chance to still request the timeout because of the dead ball situation doesn't matter does it? Once we stop play to grant the timeout, the timeout must be granted. Or, am I wrong here?
RollTide,
The procedure is to say to the coach, "M'bad, do you still wish the time-out? The other team will get the throw-in regardless....", and then to grant if requesting coach says yes or to allow the throw-in by the other team if coach says no.
mick
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Lanier S. Gwinette

Quote:
It becomes a dead ball once the whistle is blown in this situation. Even though the defense was not allowed to call a timeout, they now have the option of calling one because of the inadvertent whistle.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Lanier S. Gwinette

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Quote:
It becomes a dead ball once the whistle is blown in this situation. Even though the defense was not allowed to call a timeout, they now have the option of calling one because of the inadvertent whistle.

cford: That is exactly what happened and how it was handled