Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 06:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I can understand your point, but are you saying that you've given a T for every unsporting act that you've ever noticed?

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on Mar 3rd, 2005 at 06:00 PM]
Generally speaking, the sooner you start penalizing unsporting acts, the sooner they stop. The longer you let them go unpenalized, the more difficult it is to get them stopped.

It's classic adolescent behavior. They feel entitled to push the limits. If they feel around for the fences and don't find them, they begin to feel that whatever they're doing is okay. Then when they later get whacked for it, they feel their rights have been violated. It's a lot easier to establish the boundaries and defend them than it is to get them back in line once they've gone beyond the boundaries. So show them where the fences are the first time they reach them.
What BITS said!

If you let one player away with something, then you gotta let every player on the floor away with the same thing. That's only fair. If you wanna watch 20 ballplayers commit the same unsporting act without doing anything about it, well, that's your perogative.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I can understand your point, but are you saying that you've given a T for every unsporting act that you've ever noticed?

Generally speaking, the sooner you start penalizing unsporting acts, the sooner they stop....
It's classic adolescent behavior....
The original poster started penalizing unsporting acts very soon, but it didn't stop. In my mind, game management should not be based on what generally happens.

Intramural refs are payed to keep the peace. Coordinators are more than understanding when situations like this take place, but my original post was an attempt to think outside the rule book when it comes to game management.

Is it wrong to ask, what could we have done differently?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't agree more with establishing boundaries early. I think this is almost more important working IM games or other non-NFHS games. When I'm working a weekend tournament or some such ball, I look for a T right away in my first game (something I never do in "regular" season games). I have found that this sets the tone on the floor I'm working for the rest of the day. If you put up with unsportsmanlike conduct, you are promoting it to some degree. As Barney Fife says, "Nip it in the bud." On a related note, last weekend I worked a JH tournament that was very well organized. They posted a large copy of the rules by the door to the gym highlighting the fact that, in this tournament, unsporting behavior from fans can be called on the team they support. Luckily I didn't have to use this rule, but it set the tone and we heard very little criticism from the crowd.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have a sorta similar situation (although I was the other official on the floor, instead of the one calling the T's). It was the graduate school championship game. There's a very limited pool of officials that are remotely competent and/or have the desire to work games, so we were working the second game in a row (the first being the undergraduate championship). Anyway. the undergrad game had been a little rough (three or four technicals I think, and the best player from one team fouled out on a disputed charge call with 5 minutes left). Of course the players for the second game saw most of that game, so we were already set up for a rough second game. Before the game, the captain for Team A (for identification purposes) says some things to me to the effect of "try to control your partner" (I have slightly more experience and had the fortune of not having any really unpopular calls in the first game, so I guess he thought I could control the other official). Anyway, about 5 minutes into the game, my partner calls a foul on Team B. It is quickly followed by a technical (for which I didn't see the reason). Then while team A is shooting free throws, my partner ejects the player who had fouled. I was shocked. I had seen no cause for it. Neither did anyone else on the court (I was in the awkward position of having Team A ask if I could overrule him). I went over and talked to my partner, to try to figure out what happened. He said that the player stared at him, then waved his tongue. I was struck by the bizarreness of this. I asked if he wanted to stick with the ejection (I could hardly believe he'd just ejected one of the top players in the first five minutes of the championship game for stuff I hadn't even noticed). He said he wanted to stick with it, so we did. The game didn't not go well. Team B lost by 20 or so. They didn't complain much directly to him, but both teams often asked me if I could change his calls [most of them weren't bad]. They weren't exceptionally unsportsmanlike, but they exhuded the attitude of "you're so incompetent it's not even worth complaining." After the game, their captain (who officiates from time to time) told my partner he was the worst official ever.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to paint as complete a picture as possible. After the game, I talked to my partner pretty extensively (he was kinda down from the games). One thing I said was that, while ejections are a tool, they should be respected. I basically said that if nobody in the gym except he and the player can even tell what happened, perhaps a warning could have done the job. If the player keeps trying to intimidate, then follow through with an ejection. I felt that he lost all credibility by ejecting a player at that point. I shared with him that when you eject a player, they need to have done something that can be noticed by more than just you, unless they've been clearly warned. Basically, when you surprise your partner and the other team with an ejection, anything you gain from stopping the one player from unsporting behavior is outweighed by the fact that both teams now have no respect for you or belief in your credibility. I was wondering what people think about this. Must every unsporting act be harshly penalized, or should things that are subtle be warned before they are harshly penalized?
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I agree also that technicals should be used to control the situation. Its ejections that I try to avoid if possible. Southside, I believe you have the right idea with your partner. Perhaps one technical, but from what you described an ejection (best player or not) seemed uncalled for.

My worst fear in the playoffs came true last night. Game was pretty physical, lots of pushing and shoving and slapping so lots of fouls of both teams. Early in the game after my p calls a foul on Team B's big man and I'm administrating free throws, the big man asks if we can just let them play. No big deal at all and both teams were decently polite while being competitive and complaining. Had one Tech on B earlier for cursing at us.

About a minute to go, Team B down by about 10 points. B1 gets fouled and goes to the line. As he releases his free throw, a B play comes running in from outside the three point line all the way to the paint. Two of us called the violation. We called off the shot and the red free throw player at the line literally just lays down on the floor. B2 comes up to me and starts cursing up a storm. F this, f that. Technical foul. Normally would quiet someone down. He says f that technical, f all of you (the refs), f this. WHACK, he's gone. Partner calls the game since its the 3rd Technical of the game. I signal for a supervisor to get him out of here and he's like "you get the f out of here" The whole red team is out of control. I retreat with my partners to the staffing area while everyone tries to calm down. Court is emptied.

Other than this game, all of my other four went off without a hitch. Had one intentional when a player pulled someone down by the jersey when they had a fast break. The pull wasn't hard, just trying to hold him down. I got right in between the two to make sure nothing else happened then went and reported the X.

Ooo I almost forgot my favorite. During halftime of one of the games, Team A was dunking during their warmups. We hardly ever call this a tech, just tell them not to. So we warn them to stop. Two shots later, A1 dunks the ball and snaps the rim. My partner WHACKS him. Comes back to the table and while he is walking back A2 dunks it and snaps the rim! I take this one and whack him. Team B starts the half of the tie game with 4 free throws and the ball. Team A still won though.

Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Generally speaking, the sooner you start penalizing unsporting acts, the sooner they stop....
It's classic adolescent behavior....
The original poster started penalizing unsporting acts very soon, but it didn't stop. In my mind, game management should not be based on what generally happens.

Intramural refs are payed to keep the peace. Coordinators are more than understanding when situations like this take place, but my original post was an attempt to think outside the rule book when it comes to game management.

Is it wrong to ask, what could we have done differently?
Is it wrong? Certainly not. If I had six Ts in one game I'd be here trying to find a better way to handle it as well.

Perhaps I spoke too narrowly. What I probably should have said is, "The sooner you start addressing unsporting acts..." No, a T is not always the best way to address this kind of act. A warning is generally better than a T for a first offense, if you can get away with it. Sometimes an admonition to calm down from somebody who is clearly in control works wonders. Some folks can crack a good joke with offender and it has the desired effect. Sometimes (in a suitably organized contest) a word to the captain or coach is the best way. Sometimes [add your favorite technique here]...

But rarely, in my experience, is overlooking the first offense the best way to handle it. I would agree with you if you were talking about other aspects of the game. Sometimes the best thing you can do to help get a flow going is to pass on a foul or maybe even a violation (depending on the level of play). But unsporting behavior with young men doesn't tend to right itself when left unaddressed.

As far as basing game management on what generally happens, what do you mean? Do you mean how young officials generally manage a game? If so, I agree. Or do you mean that you wouldn't suggest trying what has worked in the past to address new situations? If so, then are probably a better game manager than I. I can't think fast enough to invent a creative, effect new solution every time there is a issue. I tend to go with has worked in the past until it is proven ineffective.

YMMV
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
Man, do I miss doing intramural games. I mean, where else can you have that much fun and get paid $5.50/hr? My favorite was one time during a women's game when, after a call, the fouling player came up to me after I had reported and took off the eyeglasses she was wearing and offered them to me. I had to whack her, but I got a pretty good chuckle out of it. Someone could do a great documentary on the world of college intramural officiating.
Ahhh yes the days of IM ball. At Oregon State I got about 6.70 for a game, the regular officials got 6.50, but because I was a "senior" offical I got the extra .20 (making the big bucks!!!). But you work 8-10 games a week and its your beer money for the weekend..

The "highlight" of my IM basketball officiating career was doing a B league game (called the drunk leagues by everyone involved) between a fraternity and a team composed of the Oregon State football team. We knew it was ugly before the game and well it was ugly during the game as well. Several T's, lots of hard fouls, and hard feelings all around. Football players thought they were still on the football field and the fraternity members just took a break from the bar hop they were on before the game.

While IM ball got me my start (ie doing a regular schedule games), the training was minimal, but I had ref'd prior to that so I knew the rules. The most common foul I gave out was a technical one, but that's how it went. The one good thing IM ball did for me was, teaching me the "attitude" of being an official. Selling your calls, acting and knowing like you are the person in charge on the court, and knowing when and when not to take any BS. Since I wasn't getting paid much and didn't really care to take a whole lotta BS, I didn't. The players I had knew that I didn't tolerate much and my T's dropped as the year went on...

I equate IM ball with doing adult rec league ball, it's not for me and I really don't like doing the games. It got me a start, but I'll stick the HS ball now. There is something to be gained from it, but it depends on where and how the IM program is setup...
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

One thing that I've gotten out of this year as an official is the importance of communication in all forms. Before this year, which was my first full varsity season, I thought that being a solid official was just knowing the rules, mechanics and making quality calls, now communicating with everyone has jumped up the list. This year I had a ton of technicals, all deserved in my opinion, but I feel that better communication and being more approachable was the key to limiting them. Rec ball and IMs are a great way to work on communicating. Preventing Ts through communication though doesn't mean not penalizing unsporting acts, but it means identifying problems and taking action before they escalate.

I had a situation last night in an IM game with a hothead who I've dealt with before in previous games. On my first 3 foul calls against his team, they complained, and I responded to the complaint in the manner it was made. The third time this guy bumped an opponent with his chest and I called the foul, he complained and I barked at him a bit, and came across harshly. During a TO a bit later I told the guy, "I know I'm coming across as a hardass, and I'm not trying to be one, but you guys got on me after every call. Now if you got a question about a call and ask about it politely, I'll be happy to answer, but not every time." The rest of the game I had no problems with the guy or anyone else on his team. I think in IMs you've gotta draw the line and be willing to call the Ts, but barking at them a bit and talking to them I think can help too. In terms of the cursing that was mentioned before, if it was directed at me, flagrant T, automatic and he's gonna have to chase me down to get another one.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I know this post will be met with strong criticism, but....

What if you just looked away instead of giving the T for the eye-rubbing?

That does the officials following you a great dis-service imo. Technical fouls are simply a reaction to an unsporting act. We don't commit these acts, and it's our job not to allow those unsporting acts.

Very bad advice. Officials who purposely turn a blind eye on unsporting acts should find another, less-stressful avocation. Officiating isn't for them.
I agree with JR. You're not creating a situation whereby you now need to call a T. They committed an unsportsmanlike act which earned them a T. You worked the games and earned your money, now the athletic dept needs to be responsible and pay you. If the player acts up and earns a T, you need to be responsible and give it to them. I hate to see anyone denied what they have earned.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MegatronOSU

The "highlight" of my IM basketball officiating career was doing a B league game (called the drunk leagues by everyone involved) between a fraternity and a team composed of the Oregon State football team.
I don't know about anyone else, but some of my worst games seem to involve athletes from other varsity sports. One of my worst this season was when the two teams composed of soccer players played each other.

As to bad behavior, no one should have to put up with one-tenth of what goes on in some of these games. This year was so bad that I even had four post-game ejections (one was a bit weak, but needed to be done).

1. Guy from the losing team had been T'ed up during the game. Game's over, and he comes to complain about calls. I listened to him for a sec, then said the game was over, the calls weren't going to be changed, we're done. The guy keeps going, and I suggest to him that the game's over and he should just leave. At this point, he proceeds to ask me "Oh, yeah? What the f**k are you going to do about it?" I turned to the door, blew my whistle, and showed him the way out of the building.

2. (The somewhat weak one) Captain of a team (who had been T'ed up only 2 or 3 minutes into the game) is upset, because I called the game over with 0.2 left on the clock (time was running, ball went OOB but never touched anything, and the timer reacted to a whistle from the other court - the horn would have sounded had that not happened - game over). Almost immediately, he gets angry and starts shouting "That's b*****it!" Quick second T - he's ejected.

3. (Worst behavior I've seen in a basketball game.) Really good grad league game, but with a lot of abuse of the officials (especially me). I ended the game with 25 seconds remaining, because 2 players from A had been ejected (we don't have the 3 T rule - the game is forfeited if 2 players get ejected). As I report the foul and the forfeit to the table, one of the players on the bench (who had fouled out and already gotten a T) feels the need to shout out that I'm a "fat f**k." Flagrant T - he's gone.

4. A player who had been ejected 2 weeks before was given permission to "coach" his team in their last game (they were 0-4 going in). The guy shows up in a cheap suit jacket, clearly mis-matched shirt and tie, and he brought along one of the markerboard clipboards - we knew this was going to be a joke to begin with. Game goes along, and we have to quiet down the bench (two subs, "coach", and a few fans) several times, finally giving them a formal warning (the crew decided that if anything else was heard from the bench, all the spectators would be asked to leave). The game was pretty tight at the end, and this guy's team only lost by 3. (If I remember correctly, they lost because, in OT they had two guys left and one fouled out with 1.5 on the clock - game over). Well, "coach" gets mad, takes his clipboard and slams it down onto the court as I'm walking by - whistle back in mouth, give the T signal, he's gone.

While I don't go looking to a "first T" to call, most T's given out in IM games are well justified. The biggest problem, if any, is officials who don't call technical fouls, even when they're blatantly obvious (worst is when a partner fails to get your back - I'm sure that happens just as much at the HS level, though. )