The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foot on block during free throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18874-foot-block-during-free-throw.html)

womens_hoops Wed Mar 02, 2005 05:59pm

Hi. Non-ref fan here trying to figure something out, and a half-hour of googling has come up empty, so i'm coming to the experts.

is there ever a time under any of the rules systems that a player can have her foot on the block during the free throw?

My understanding of the Men's NCAA rules is that the opponent of the shooter occupies the space between baseline and block, and he can't have his foot on the block. For women's, the lowest opponent occupies the space above the block, and she can't have her foot on the block.

What is the NFHS rule?

I vaguely recall that there was a proposal to change the NFHS rule last year (to match the NCAA women's, except you could have your foot on the block?) but it failed.

thanks much.

tjones1 Wed Mar 02, 2005 06:07pm

Fed (NFHS):

You cannot have your foot on the block and you are correct about NCAA-M and NCAA-W.

rainmaker Wed Mar 02, 2005 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by womens_hoops
Hi. Non-ref fan here trying to figure something out, and a half-hour of googling has come up empty, so i'm coming to the experts.

is there ever a time under any of the rules systems that a player can have her foot on the block during the free throw?

My understanding of the Men's NCAA rules is that the opponent of the shooter occupies the space between baseline and block, and he can't have his foot on the block. For women's, the lowest opponent occupies the space above the block, and she can't have her foot on the block.

What is the NFHS rule?

I vaguely recall that there was a proposal to change the NFHS rule last year (to match the NCAA women's, except you could have your foot on the block?) but it failed.

thanks much.

We get a few non-ref fans here every once in a while. Seldom are they as neutral as you. We like the way you did this. You're welcome here anytime.

womens_hoops Wed Mar 02, 2005 06:49pm

Thanks much. Definitely trying to be neutral -- trying to learn. I run a website for women's ball, and occasionally link to this board. Hoping to spread some knowledge to the fans and coaches out there.

(I must also admit that before I started reading this board, I may have occasionally yelled for an "over the back" foul.)

while i'm at it, a quick follow-up --

do the Fed rules allow 6 or 5 players on the lane for a free throw?

thanks again...

tjones1 Wed Mar 02, 2005 07:07pm

Either would work. At most, 6 are allowed. The least is 2.

refnrev Wed Mar 02, 2005 07:12pm

W-hoops,
Welcome to the forum -- and thanks for the compliment about us being "experts." Just remember the two definitions for experts

1. A former drip under pressure.
2. Anyone who is more than 20 miles from home.

RR

BktBallRef Wed Mar 02, 2005 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
..... you are correct about NCAA-M and NCAA-W.
No, women's hoops is NOT correct. (No offense women's hoops, just didn't want you to leave with the wrong interp)

Under NCAA Men's rules, the opponent in the first space CAN have have his foot on the block.

As for NCAA Women, I'm not sure and I'm not looking it up. :)

Quite honestly, the NCAA rule book drives me crazy when I try to look things up. I really don't like their method of combining the rule book and "case book" together.

Here's a link to the NCAA Rule Book.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

TravelinMan Wed Mar 02, 2005 08:28pm

Speaking of experts,

How many experts does it take to change a lightbulb?
Answer - Five. One to change the bulb and four to tell him/her how much better they could have done it. :)

__________________________________________________ _______
I am a bomb expert; if you see me running try to keep up.

mick Wed Mar 02, 2005 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

No, women's hoops is NOT correct. (No offense women's hoops, just didn't want you to leave with the wrong interp)

Under NCAA Men's rules, the opponent in the first space CAN have have his foot on the block.

Quite honestly, the NCAA rule book drives me crazy when I try to look things up. I really don't like their method of combining the rule book and "case book" together.

RE: NCAA Women
The first legal lane space (identified as "above the block") does not include the block. ;)
Feet must be in the space; thus, no feet on the block.
mick

tjones1 Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

The first legal lane space (identified as "above the block") does not include the block. ;)
mick

Confused, so was my thinking correct?

BktBallRef Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:58pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mick

W_H said that Men couldn't stand on the block.

You said W_H was correct.

That's wrong. Men can stand on the block.

Unconfused now?

mick Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:05pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mick

<I>Tanner [in response] - "Fed (NFHS): You cannot have your foot on the block and you are correct about NCAA-M and NCAA-W.</I>

Seems right, Tanner. ;)

NFHS and Women - Foot on block is illegal
Men - Foot on block is legal for first two defenders.

mick

mick Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:08pm

Ow!!!
Dan's head is gonna explode! :eek:
mick

Dan_ref Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:34pm

Quote:

Ow!!!
Dan's head is gonna explode! :eek:
mick

Don't worry Mick, I'm OK.

Just don't call me a thug, OK?

BigGref Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by womens_hoops

(I must also admit that before I started reading this board, I may have occasionally yelled for an "over the back" foul.)

What's over the back :D!!