The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I frequently see players accidentally contact the ball on their hip or thigh while dribbling. When the ball is in contact with the hand and the hip simultaneously, and the player then dribbles again, is this a double dribble?

The reason I ask this is that I see players do this all the time, but rarely see a violation called. Is this considered a fumble or interrupted dribble or something?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I also see this happen from time to time and I think a more senior member will say that unless the ball comes to rest that the dribble has not ended, therefore no violation. I see nothing in the rules saying incidental contact with a dribblers body is a violation.

Shot in the dark.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
I frequently see players accidentally contact the ball on their hip or thigh while dribbling. When the ball is in contact with the hand and the hip simultaneously, and the player then dribbles again, is this a double dribble?

The reason I ask this is that I see players do this all the time, but rarely see a violation called. Is this considered a fumble or interrupted dribble or something?
What level of ball is this? It's a violation, but I don't always call it at the lower levels. High school, I'll call it if I see it.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
I also see this happen from time to time and I think a more senior member will say that unless the ball comes to rest that the dribble has not ended, therefore no violation. I see nothing in the rules saying incidental contact with a dribblers body is a violation.

Shot in the dark.
Good shot too. Judgement call. If the ball comes to rest---> violation if they continue to dribble or if they travel while the ball is pinned. Just hitting or brushing the body doesn't end the dribble.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If the ball comes to rest---> violation if they continue to dribble or if they travel while the ball is pinned. Just hitting or brushing the body doesn't end the dribble.
How is this different than hitting or brushing the other hand? Other than the obvious, of course?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

The rule states that the dribble ends when the ball comes to rest in "one or both hands." As long as the ball doesn't come to rest in the hand when it contacts the hip, nothing illegal has occurred. That's why Jim isn't seeing a violation called.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf

If the the ball hits the dribbler leg than you have an interrupted dribble. If the ball comes to rest on a knee or hip since the dribble is not continous you could call a double dribble.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
If the ball comes to rest on a knee or hip since the dribble is not continous you could call a double dribble.
Really? Got a rule reference to back that up?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Go one further

You know, I like these questions because it forces you to take a real close look at thses rules.

I think now we should understand that that ball brushing against a hip or knee is ok, (see last post) but consider this now:

Let's say the dribbler DOES unintentionally brush the ball against the OTHER hand on the way to the floor after the ball leaves the hand. 4-15 art .4 (c) says "The dribble ends when: The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands". It would look weird but would it be a violation if it not simultaneous?

I will say not.

Somebody turn on the light.

Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Go one further

Quote:
Let's say the dribbler DOES unintentionally brush the ball against the OTHER hand on the way to the floor after the ball leaves the hand. 4-15 art .4 (c) says "The dribble ends when: The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands". It would look weird but would it be a violation if it not simultaneous?
Makes no difference whether he touched it unintentionally or not, it would be a violation. Violations have nothing to do with intent.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Go one further

Quote:
You know, I like these questions because it forces you to take a real close look at thses rules.

I think now we should understand that that ball brushing against a hip or knee is ok, (see last post) but consider this now:

I will say not.

Somebody turn on the light.

Case book 4.15.4.D (a) answers your question.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks, I see the light!