Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: In this case I thought she was

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Unfortunately, your personal view doesn't matter. The rules matter. JR is right. A player can always go grab the ball after a fumble. Take a close look at the following:

Rule 4 SECTION 21 FUMBLE
A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp.

Rule 4 Section 15 Article 4
NOTE 2: A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.

And to add to what Nevada said, see case book play 4.15.4SitD(d):
While dribbling,A1 fumbles the ball in ending the dribble so that A1 must run to recover it.
RULING: The dribble ended in (d) when it was fumbled. Even though the dribble had ended..., A1 may recover the ball.

In this case I thought she was trying the do something with it, pass it up ahead. She was simply trying to end the dribble. That's what got my attention. It didn't strike me as a fumble, to use a word with mediocre definition, but as a 'flub'. Whether or not I was right about that, I don't know . . .
You may not like the way it's defined, but it doesn't change the fact. The rules don't differentiate between your various levels of fumble and flub. The crowd was right, and next time I properly no-call this I'm blaming you for the crowd response.