The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Boys Division Monday challenge game, winner joins other 7 teams at State. Spectator watching an intense game, back and forth with no team ever holding more than a 3 point lead. 0:39 left in 4th, A leads 51-50. B has possession, B1 attempted shot, blocked and resultant furball in the lane. Ball bounces out of the pack to the right about a foot inside and parallel to the endline. B2 and B3 are closing on the ball and B2, who has one foot out of bounds LOOKS LIKE he is going to grab the ball right in front of Umpire and--tweet--- DOES NOT actually do so, ball continues to bounce inbounds untouched parallel to endline. 3000 sets of eyes are on the Umpire, well respected vet of 20+ years, who goes directly in front of B bench, has about a five second one-way with B coach then gives the held ball signal and we go the other way with the arrow. B calls a big timeout and the whole time Umpire is on the block during the TO he has the look of man enduring an impromptu proctology exam. Felt really bad for him but he did what he had to do in the situation. BTW, A makes one of two FT and B has an open look with 9 seconds left to tie but misses. A great game, but 50% of those there will remember one event.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Angry What can you do?

I had an inadvertant whistle this year and I can tell you that I feel for this umpire. Thank God, mine wasn't in a similar situation.

I was the lead and we were working a two whistle game. The ball was thrown from the otherside of the court along the baseline. As A1 received the ball NEAR the sideline, I looked down tro take a look at his feet. No defenders were near him. I looked down and saw the heel of his sneaker standing on what I thought was the OOB Line. As I blew the whistle (and the call) off went a three point attempt. SWISH!

We were working one of these courts that had more lines on it than Tony Montana's kitchen table. Scarface (1983) starring Al Pacino.

Count the basket (my partner sold the call - whistle went off after the shot was released) and play on with B taking it out.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Man, that guy had to feel bad. Especially in that situation and at that time of the game. But, to his credit, he sucked it up and did the right thing according to the rules.

This season I had one of those 3 week long colds, and I was getting sick of popping Sudafed, so I tried one game without it. Of course, I picked the first game of the post-season to try this. We were just getting down the floor, and I was setting up at L, when I felt that tickle in my nose. I was trying to ignore it, but it just wouldn't go away. Uh...ah...ahhh...(I gotta hold this in!).....Pppfftttt(tweet)! Oh crap, now my whistle's all wet. Well, I look up just in time to see the players in the lane all looking at me for my call. But meanwhile, the dribbler and my partner are just moving right along. So, I stick that wet whistle back in my mouth, blow the play dead, and have them take it out where the dribbler was. Thank goodness it wasn't in the middle of close play, or at the end of a close game.
Funny, no one wanted to shake my hand after the game.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

If you're going to sneeze just use you rpointer finger and press it flat against your upper lip, right below your nose like a mustache. You'll look like an idiot with a finger mustache but you won't sneeze.