The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This question probably has been answered in the past but here it is : Watching women's game, North Carolina v Duke tonight and the announcer keeps saying that one of the players "traveled out of bounds ". They even replayed her on the side lines shuffling her feet out of bounds. The announcer kept saying " Boy the official missed that one ". Are NCAA women rules different than high school in regards to spot throw-in ? I am not familiar women's NCAA rules .

Thanks

[Edited by RefTip on Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:51 PM]
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Commentators are dumb, ignore them when they start to discuss rules.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

It was definitely a spot throw-in violation that wasn't called. But it was not traveling, as the idiot commentator kept saying.

There was also a double dribble called when a player fumbled the ball and then picked it up after it bounced once.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Regardless of the semantics, at least the idiot commentators realized it was a violation, which was a jump ahead of the administrating official.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wink

Yeah, God forbid an official miss this call. Hang 'em!!!
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse James
Regardless of the semantics, at least the idiot commentators realized it was a violation, which was a jump ahead of the administrating official.
Why was it a violation? I didn't see the play. I assume the player did something more than just move his feet within the spot.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW [/B]
Why was it a violation? I didn't see the play. I assume the player did something more than just move his feet within the spot. [/B][/QUOTE]

Moved two strides left, probably about 6 feet off the spot.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefTip
This question probably has been answered in the past but here it is : Watching women's game, North Carolina v Duke tonight and the announcer keeps saying that one of the players "traveled out of bounds ". They even replayed her on the side lines shuffling her feet out of bounds. The announcer kept saying " Boy the official missed that one ". Are NCAA women rules different than high school in regards to spot throw-in ? I am not familiar women's NCAA rules .

Thanks

[Edited by RefTip on Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:51 PM]
I was watching the game and as soon as the announcer made the comment about traveling, I said out loud, "you can't travel out of bounds, A-hole!" About that time my wife walked through the room and wanted to know who I was talking to. I told her some idiot on the TV.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info ...... As soon as the announcer said that she traveled out of bounds both my 13 y/o daughter and 10 y/o son said " Dad that isn't a travel is it ? You can't travel out of bounds ". I guess they have heard me say that once too often . I told the kids that they were right( HS rules ) but I wasn't sure b/c I didn't know the NCAA rules.

I do now .........

Thanks again.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

In what situation are you allowed to run along the baseline while out of bounds for a throw in?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

After a made or award basket or FT.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW
Why was it a violation? I didn't see the play. I assume the player did something more than just move his feet within the spot.
She didn't move anywhere near 6', as fanboy stated. But she did move completely outised the 3' spot. Had she not moved her right foot about a foot, she would have still been over the spot.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think International Rules are the only ones that have traveling while out of bounds.......
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

In what situation are you allowed to run along the baseline while out of bounds for a throw in?

Don't forget the less obvious situations (from a fans perspective) when the defense violates or fouls after a made FG/FT. The offense still retains the ability to run the endline.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls

Don't forget the less obvious situations (from a fans perspective) when the defense violates or fouls after a made FG/FT. The offense still retains the ability to run the endline.
That's still after a made or award basket or FT.