The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling OB ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18817-traveling-ob.html)

RefTip Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:40pm

This question probably has been answered in the past but here it is : Watching women's game, North Carolina v Duke tonight and the announcer keeps saying that one of the players "traveled out of bounds ". They even replayed her on the side lines shuffling her feet out of bounds. The announcer kept saying " Boy the official missed that one ". Are NCAA women rules different than high school in regards to spot throw-in ? I am not familiar women's NCAA rules .

Thanks

[Edited by RefTip on Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:51 PM]

Snake~eyes Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:45pm

Commentators are dumb, ignore them when they start to discuss rules.

BktBallRef Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:13am

It was definitely a spot throw-in violation that wasn't called. But it was not traveling, as the idiot commentator kept saying.

There was also a double dribble called when a player fumbled the ball and then picked it up after it bounced once. :(

Jesse James Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:48pm

Regardless of the semantics, at least the idiot commentators realized it was a violation, which was a jump ahead of the administrating official.

Adam Mon Feb 28, 2005 01:05pm

Yeah, God forbid an official miss this call. Hang 'em!!!

JeffW Mon Feb 28, 2005 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jesse James
Regardless of the semantics, at least the idiot commentators realized it was a violation, which was a jump ahead of the administrating official.
Why was it a violation? I didn't see the play. I assume the player did something more than just move his feet within the spot.

Jesse James Mon Feb 28, 2005 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffW [/B]
Why was it a violation? I didn't see the play. I assume the player did something more than just move his feet within the spot. [/B][/QUOTE]

Moved two strides left, probably about 6 feet off the spot.

dblref Tue Mar 01, 2005 06:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by RefTip
This question probably has been answered in the past but here it is : Watching women's game, North Carolina v Duke tonight and the announcer keeps saying that one of the players "traveled out of bounds ". They even replayed her on the side lines shuffling her feet out of bounds. The announcer kept saying " Boy the official missed that one ". Are NCAA women rules different than high school in regards to spot throw-in ? I am not familiar women's NCAA rules .

Thanks

[Edited by RefTip on Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:51 PM]

I was watching the game and as soon as the announcer made the comment about traveling, I said out loud, "you can't travel out of bounds, A-hole!" About that time my wife walked through the room and wanted to know who I was talking to. I told her some idiot on the TV.:D

RefTip Tue Mar 01, 2005 09:33pm

Thanks for the info ...... As soon as the announcer said that she traveled out of bounds both my 13 y/o daughter and 10 y/o son said " Dad that isn't a travel is it ? You can't travel out of bounds ". I guess they have heard me say that once too often . I told the kids that they were right( HS rules ) but I wasn't sure b/c I didn't know the NCAA rules.

I do now .........

Thanks again.

johnsatchmo Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:51pm

In what situation are you allowed to run along the baseline while out of bounds for a throw in?

BktBallRef Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17pm

After a made or award basket or FT.

BktBallRef Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffW
Why was it a violation? I didn't see the play. I assume the player did something more than just move his feet within the spot.
She didn't move anywhere near 6', as fanboy stated. But she did move completely outised the 3' spot. Had she not moved her right foot about a foot, she would have still been over the spot.

Mlancaster Wed Mar 02, 2005 03:35pm

I think International Rules are the only ones that have traveling while out of bounds.......

icallfouls Wed Mar 02, 2005 07:14pm

In what situation are you allowed to run along the baseline while out of bounds for a throw in?

Don't forget the less obvious situations (from a fans perspective) when the defense violates or fouls after a made FG/FT. The offense still retains the ability to run the endline.

BktBallRef Wed Mar 02, 2005 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by icallfouls

Don't forget the less obvious situations (from a fans perspective) when the defense violates or fouls after a made FG/FT. The offense still retains the ability to run the endline.

That's still after a made or award basket or FT.