The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

But there is enough to work on during a game that does not involve your partner. Refereeing the defense, making strong signals, picking up the second rebounder, relating to hostile players, getting in position to receive the play, etc. etc.

Lazy officials are everywhere, but you can't let them impede your progress.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

The worse thing that can happen to a new ref is being put into a varsity game they are not ready for. You will not understand this until you get your first big game....so I feel like it's a waste of time to even speak on the subject. Every year, in every chapter, new officials want better games....it will never change... Hang in there...it will come...

This is your first year....middle school games are what you supposed to do. I would however, ask a veteran official whose head isn't swollen to work a few with you. It's the best training method. You have room for error and time to discuss each situation because of the level of the game.

P.S. Don't be surprised if all you get are middle school games next year. Then the next year....Church school JV...ETC.....It's a progression that ALL of us are used to.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JaylonW
P.S. Don't be surprised if all you get are middle school games next year. Then the next year....Church school JV...ETC.....It's a progression that ALL of us are used to.
except that here in this area (wyoming) we don't have many if any church school games....
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JaylonW
The worse thing that can happen to a new ref is being put into a varsity game they are not ready for. You will not understand this until you get your first big game....so I feel like it's a waste of time to even speak on the subject. Every year, in every chapter, new officials want better games....it will never change... Hang in there...it will come...

This is your first year....middle school games are what you supposed to do. I would however, ask a veteran official whose head isn't swollen to work a few with you. It's the best training method. You have room for error and time to discuss each situation because of the level of the game.

The progression of people in any given endeavor is not lost upon me.

What I seem to see is the lack of a set procedural standard to bring a new official up through the ranks properly. Not getting Varsity games or post season work isn't an issue. In fact, I could be very content working MS games if I were working with 'mentor' official.

Not that it bothers me but, tossing two new officials together even in the MS games seems quite detrimental. What are two new guys supposed to do when the coaches begin arguing a call or want some type of rule interpretation. I am by no means totally up to speed on every aspect of the game, and neither are my partners for the most part.

If there was a 'program' where a few of the older officials would agree to work with some of the younger ones, I believe the learning curve would not only be drastically reduced but the 'quality' of the officiating would be enhanced.

This is something I'm going to address with our assignors and association people for the next year.

When I say "I'm not challenged", it isn't due to the fact I'm working the smaller games per se, it is due to the fact I'm 'surviving' MS games by my own wits. For future up and coming officials, it must be nice to have an official mentor program designed to work with younger officials. I hope other associations are more in tuned to their future needs and work to develop a new crop of officials.