The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Just looking for some input on this one--
Let me set the stage
One of the last games of the year -- boys sophomore game on Senior night so gym is beginning to fill on the home side fairly early, Visitors side is still pretty empty

There are about 12-15 home team students in the first 2-4 rows of bleachers directly in line with the Visitor's FT line extended, on Visitor's side of gym.

First time we have Visitor's at line for a pair of FT, the Home students, give the shhhhhhhhh finger to mouth sound while V1 is bouncing ball getting set to try FT..As V1 begins to pull trigger on shot, the 12-15 Home team students erupt in huge raucus..They then proceeded to do this 1-2 times more during the first half..

Not as much impact in second half because we switch ends and the 12-15 students are now at Home team FT line extended.

What do all you experienced guys think should be done on this one?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Nothing

As long as they are in the stands, they can do anything short of profanity.

Interestingly enough, I have had problems with cheerleaders. They want to get on the end line during a free throw and make noise. I tell them to move of be quiet, but if they are behind the bench, I let them yell.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

So what would suggest we do to them. That is no different than every fan in the gym yelling while someone is shooting. you can not very well throw everyone out can you.

Just sit back and enjoy the show and see if all of their holering works.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with above. Let em yell!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 12:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Yep, legal to yell like they did. As stated, it's a different story if they are using other words.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 02:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Whenever anyone brings something like this up, I always make the same statement:

It's not golf.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
It's not golf.
Except if you're in Phoenix.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Let me set the stage
One of the last games of the year -- boys sophomore game on Senior night so gym is beginning to fill on the home side fairly early, Visitors side is still pretty empty

There are about 12-15 home team students in the first 2-4 rows of bleachers directly in line with the Visitor's FT line extended, on Visitor's side of gym.

First time we have Visitor's at line for a pair of FT, the Home students, give the shhhhhhhhh finger to mouth sound while V1 is bouncing ball getting set to try FT..As V1 begins to pull trigger on shot, the 12-15 Home team students erupt in huge raucus..They then proceeded to do this 1-2 times more during the first half..

Not as much impact in second half because we switch ends and the 12-15 students are now at Home team FT line extended.

I have had problems with the band director of home team instructing his band to beat the drum just before the free throw goes up. This, in my opinion, is a artifical noise maker so we instructed him to knock it off. Other than that, let em yell!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Like one of our local HS TV sports announcers said: "If the fans have to remain quiet at any time during an event - it is not a sport!"
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Let me set the stage

I have had problems with the band director of home team instructing his band to beat the drum just before the free throw goes up. This, in my opinion, is a artifical noise maker so we instructed him to knock it off. Other than that, let em yell!
Agreed, drum is an artifical noise maker.