The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I have a question -

A1 calls a time out and then out of frustration slams the ball to the celling. Official whacks A1 with a "T". Off course two shots by B team, but how is possession handled? Does B team get the ball or do you go to the AP? My buddy called me with this last night and I told him I would check. He gave the ball to team B at center court opposite of the table.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Buddy is right

You're buddy done good!
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I have a question -

A1 calls a time out and then out of frustration slams the ball to the celling. Official whacks A1 with a "T". Off course two shots by B team, but how is possession handled? Does B team get the ball or do you go to the AP? My buddy called me with this last night and I told him I would check. He gave the ball to team B at center court opposite of the table.
Assuming this was FED rules, the penalty for a T always included posession of the ball (unless complicated by a subsequent T, or the end of a period)

Under NCAA rules, shoot the throws for the T and go back to POI.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
[B]Assuming this was FED rules, the penalty for a T always included posession of the ball (unless complicated by a subsequent T, or the end of a period)

Do you believe that HS will ever go to this? I think it is worth looking at. It will get rid of the confusion that some have between intentionals and T's.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Assuming this was FED rules, the penalty for a T always included posession of the ball (unless complicated by a subsequent T, or the end of a period)

Do you believe that HS will ever go to this? I think it is worth looking at. It will get rid of the confusion that some have between intentionals and T's.
What confusion?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

The confusion that new officials encounter the first few times they have have an intentional or T! In the association I just transfered to, it seemed like every meeting, we had to distinguish between the two for new officials.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Why the differences

I wonder why there are not just one set of rules for the game. Why does the NFHS / Mens' NCAA, Womens NCAA seem to have different little rule differences? Like the above for instance?

Just curious.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Why the differences

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
I wonder why there are not just one set of rules for the game. Why does the NFHS / Mens' NCAA, Womens NCAA seem to have different little rule differences? Like the above for instance?

Just curious.
What about NBA and FIBA? You want your local rec league and my local rec league to play with the same rules?

Whose rules do we choose?

Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The confusion that new officials encounter the first few times they have have an intentional or T! In the association I just transfered to, it seemed like every meeting, we had to distinguish between the two for new officials.
I find those a piece of cake compared to the correctable error rules. Talk about confusing...
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How so? In both cases the team fouled gets two shots and the ball. The only difference is in who shoots the free throws (fouled player for the X, player designated by coach for T) and where they get the ball for inbound (spot nearest foul for X, division line for T). Pretty simple really, compared to some of the other stuff we have to deal with.......
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I assume you mean the difference in administration? If distinguishing between a T and an intentional is confusing now, just imagine all of the fun we could have with POI! The difference would then be pretty big, which would only exacerbate the newbies' confusion. At least now if they confuse them, about the worst that can happen is they give the offended team the ball back at the wrong spot.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I have a question -

Fouls don't change the AP arrow.