The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

Some feel you should mark it as a personal also so you make sure it is counted toward the team foul total. I understand this, but if you have a scorekeeper with at least half a brain (and I know this isn't always the case), he or she should be able to keep the terminology straight and not screw up - with a little explanation from you, of course.

Back when I kept the book, I used one slash through the number to signify a foul. If it was a technical, I'd put a T through the number. It seemed to work.

If I were to add my opinion to the design of a scoresheet, I'd also add an area for technicals administered to bench personel. It's probably wishful thinking, but I think it would be able to work. Most scorers don't understand the difference between a direct and indirect T on a coach.
[/QUOTE]

The book that my younger brother's team uses has 5 personal fouls to mark off as well as 2 techs. It also has 3 techs for the HC and 3 techs for a "non team member" I guess we would use that for bench personnel. I don't know how anyone but the HC in NFHS could get more than 2 T's.

I am in the habit when I am keeping the book to mark off one of the personals as well as one of the T's. I know that a T is not a personal (although I have had Varsity TASO officials tell some of our bookkeepers that on more then one occasion) however, I don't think it hurts anything and will keep me from making a mistake. If I am one of the officials and they want to mark of a personal and it will help them keep track of the fouls I am not going to argue with them about it. Just my 2 cents.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Most scorers don't understand the difference between a direct and indirect T on a coach.
Neither do most coaches.
Now that explains why the coach gave me a funny look when after 2 T's were called on his assistant and one on a team member on the bench I asked him to leave
Did Batman have two robins?
I wish he only had 2, there were 4 robins.
My goodness. A whole flock! At the middle school level?
Worse, a grade 3-4 AAU type game.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 12:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

A player could easily get three techs in NFHS. Two to get disqualified, and at least one more from the bench if he gets real stupid.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
I thought a T on a disqualified player was a direct T on the coach...
Damian, I believe the only time a coach is assessed a direct T for the actions of a player is when a DQ'd player participates in the game. This used to be flagrant on the kid and indirect to the coach, but it changed (last year, I think).

As far as a T on a player who just picked up his 5th personal, it's an indirect on the coach, but only if he's already been informed that the player has been DQ'd. This is a dumb interp, in my opinion, but that's the way it is.