The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

As a referee who works FIBA rules in Europe, what is the ruling on:

Held ball being called simultaneous with a shot clock expiry? in NCAA and in HS.

Play - A12 has the ball and is guarded by B0, the shot clock is running down and expires simultaneously with the referees whistle for a held ball between A12 and B10.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

seems like if possession is to stay with A, you would have a shot clock violation, and if team b gets possession, give them the ball with new clock!!! All Depends on the arrow.

or you could possibly of had 1 second or less left on the shot clock when the held ball occured, then during the whistle it was let run out...guess it would depend on the play...so if you were nice you could give team A 1 second or just call it a violation and give B the ball

[Edited by jritchie on Feb 23rd, 2005 at 08:48 AM]
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Assume the arrow is for A and the sounding devices are simultaneous, then the only outcome can be ball to Team B? (The old defensive team)

Is this the case as we have an expiry? If we have a second left, then A get the ball with a second left, but if there is no time.................?

I know what we do in FIBA, but am interested if this is the same in NCAA and HS.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LimeyRef
Assume the arrow is for A and the sounding devices are simultaneous, then the only outcome can be ball to Team B? (The old defensive team)

Is this the case as we have an expiry? If we have a second left, then A get the ball with a second left, but if there is no time.................?

I know what we do in FIBA, but am interested if this is the same in NCAA and HS.
The shot clock resets on a held ball in NCAA, for this very reason.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Not if the offense keeps it.

LimeyRef, what's the FIBA procedure for this case? I'm pretty sure there's no ncaa ruling for simultaneous shot clock horn & held ball whistle. We have to decide on which of the 2 came first.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Not if the offense keeps it.

LimeyRef, what's the FIBA procedure for this case? I'm pretty sure there's no ncaa ruling for simultaneous shot clock horn & held ball whistle. We have to decide on which of the 2 came first.
Yep mis-read it.