The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Questions, added

Just happened to run across this at another site and was wondering if this had ever been posted and discussed here. If it has, apologies for the duplicity.

"Subject: Re: Puzzled about basketball fouls
Interesting to note former Knicks' coach Jeff Van Gundy's technique
during the NBA playoffs a couple of years back. He often had his
players play extremely rough towards the beginning of the game,
sensitizing the officials to a very rough nature of play. As the game
progressed, he basically manipulated the officials by toning down the
physicality a bunch of notches (but still was physical enough that in
a normal game, the officials would call the violations). Therefore, in
the later stages when the game was on the line, the refs would not
call as much and the Knicks could get away with a lot. Actually this
strategy was very psychological in nature, presenting an excess
stimulus to sensitize the subject and then toning down the stimulus so
it is barely detected."

Questions:
1) Anyone have info that Van Gundy actually did that?
2) Anyone think they have seen anything remotely simliar near them?
3) Anyone think you might be affected in your calling a game where this technique was applied?
4) In general, how many of you think all, or any, of the "Psychological" techniques coaches attempt to use on us have any impact?
5) And lastly, what advice can you pass on, esp. to the newer officials, that allows you to keep your focus or re-focus and not be by such attempts?

David

[Edited by davidw on Feb 21st, 2005 at 06:19 PM]
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Whether or not he did this, I don't know but I'm sure some coach somewhere has. How successful is it? Well, if it worked on NBA officials, then it says something. Was that Knicks team the most physical team ever? No, so does that mean alot of coaches say to go out there and manhandle til they call it? Probably. Would it work on me? I'd like to say no but for anyone who's ever suffered thru a Freshman game (which is probably all of us), I think we can all say we passed on fouls to keep the clock moving. Georgetown's John Thompson once said that his guys play physical and foul alot, and sooner or later the refs will get tired of calling it.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

During the Riley-Van GUndy era, the Knicks played extremely physical basketball. The level was definitely raised with regard to what was/wasn't a foul. Don't know that I would call it a strategy or technique but it was a definite style of play.

Then, the Knicks played the Rockets in the NBA Finals after MJ first retired. The ratings were terrible and the NBA soon forced the physical style of play to go away.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
During the Riley-Van GUndy era, the Knicks played extremely physical basketball. The level was definitely raised with regard to what was/wasn't a foul. Don't know that I would call it a strategy or technique but it was a definite style of play.

Then, the Knicks played the Rockets in the NBA Finals after MJ first retired. The ratings were terrible and the NBA soon forced the physical style of play to go away.
It's still pretty darn physical, especially in the playoffs. I think the world of NBA officials and their way of doing things. I don't think this would have worked on them, they break down way too much video.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Yeah but they won all those championships under Riley & Van Gundy.