The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Consistency? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18677-consistency.html)

lrpalmer3 Mon Feb 21, 2005 01:16pm

Referee tells you in the pregame that if A1 runs squarely into B1's chest, he's calling a player control even if B1 is still moving.

As U2, do you adjust your philosophy during this game so that calls are consistent?

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 21, 2005 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Referee tells you in the pregame that if A1 runs squarely into B1's chest, he's calling a player control even if B1 is still moving.

As U2, do you adjust your philosophy during this game so that calls are consistent?

No - tell him to do so. If he doesn't like it - tough noogies.

Let's take an unrealistic extreme example to make the point. What if he told you he was going to call all holding as a travel on the offensive player? Would you do it also just to be consistent? Of course not. The point is that you cannot lower your standards of professionalism just because someone else does it. If you do this all the time, you'll just become worse.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Feb 21st, 2005 at 01:31 PM]

cmckenna Mon Feb 21, 2005 01:32pm

Why can't B1 be moving??? Once he establishes LGP, he can move away from or laterally to A1. So... B1 can be moving and still draw a PC foul.

ditttoo Mon Feb 21, 2005 02:03pm

Had this the other night. Referee during pregame established that any/all attempts to draw a charge call by flopping were to be called blocking. After discussion I held my breath knowing that someone was about to get into trouble. Well, you guess it. Very first flop was right in front of the Referee who appropriately "no called" it. Discussion at half time was certainly interesting.

Certainly there are certain situations that calls can be predetermined, i.e., hand checks, post play, moving screens. But these are "situations" and not actual calls. Difference between philosophy and reality.

Whenever I have someone postulating a specific call, all I can hear is, "Run Will Robinson, run! Danger!" I also know I have someone who may be lacking in experience, doesn't fully appreciate or understand what they are saying or someone who is about to get a crew into trouble.

Philosophies are discussed during pregame and actual calls are made out on the floor dependent on varying circumstances.

Snake~eyes Mon Feb 21, 2005 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmckenna
Why can't B1 be moving??? Once he establishes LGP, he can move away from or laterally to A1. So... B1 can be moving and still draw a PC foul.
I'm wondering the same thing.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 21, 2005 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ditttoo
Had this the other night. Referee during pregame established that any/all attempts to draw a charge call by flopping were to be called blocking.
That is completely ridiculous. He's making up his own damn rules to call. A flop is a "T", not a block. You also <b>never</b> during pre-game tell anybody what you are or aren't going to call. The game has too many variables to lock yourself into anything like that.

Lah me. My sympathy for having to work with that maroon.

TriggerMN Mon Feb 21, 2005 04:12pm

FWIW, the original post never said anything about B1 ever establishing legal guarding position...

cmckenna Mon Feb 21, 2005 04:19pm

It doesn't say he didn't either....

ditttoo Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by ditttoo
Had this the other night. Referee during pregame established that any/all attempts to draw a charge call by flopping were to be called blocking.
That is completely ridiculous. He's making up his own damn rules to call. A flop is a "T", not a block. You also <b>never</b> during pre-game tell anybody what you are or aren't going to call. The game has too many variables to lock yourself into anything like that.

Lah me. My sympathy for having to work with that maroon.

Yep, but sure changed things after the first "flop". Too many try to "plan" the game rather than "prepare" for the game and trouble almost always gets into the way of the "planners". About the only thing I "plan" is where to eat afterwards...