The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robinson31ir
Angry

I had two middle school games yesterday and my partner never showed...i called him...he says "they took me off the schedule, i dont have the game"...so, i called the assigner and i get his voicemail...now, i played college basketball and i kno the game but, this is my first year in the association...i prayed before the game and got myself focused. the girls game was great! its went smooth, the coaches behaved and i felt confident.

Before 2nd game the guys coach came over to conversate...seemed very nice, told me i looked really familiar and realized that i played college ball..told me congrads...seemed really cool..game started, first 3 quarters went smooth...but, throughout the whole game the coach that was "all in my face" before the game was the main one riding me all throughout the whole game...coming to me during every timeouts...asking me to watch for certain things...and i just kept my conposure and stay confident but, him and his assistant really were distracting me...and mind u, im the only one out there...the opposing team was waaaaayyyy more athletic and blew the team out anyway..i was wondering in the event that im put in this situation again...what should i do differently...i was really frustrated!

Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:50pm
M.A.S.H.

1) If their coach ever got in your face, it should cost him. Whack.

2) Don't take anything if you are the only one out there. Let the coaches know this before the game. Tell them you are going to call the best game you can and you expect no lip or anything out of them -- if they choose to do so, whack them.

Working alone is never fun. Are you in a state that requires two licensed officials for a middle school game? Anyways, 1 game left for me, it's tonight then it's time to hang up the gear for a couple months!
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile thanx!

Hey, thanks soooooooooo much!!! i really appreciate ur quick response and help...

Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

one more question

should i associate with the coaches at all before the game?

Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:05pm
M.A.S.H.

Re: one more question

Quote:
Originally posted by robinson31ir
should i associate with the coaches at all before the game?
Other than having your meeting with them (the coaches) and their players, no.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Had to work solo the other night. Got the 2 coaches together before the game and told them I will be working primarily opp table. If the ball goes out on their side I asked for help from them. If both coaches point in their direction I would go to the possession arrow.
First game was 20-19. 2nd was a blow out. Both coaches behaved very professional.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

man, i wish the coaches i had acted the same!!!! the home team coaches were pure a*s*hol*es

Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

My complaint with this was my own fault. Last few seconds of the game Team A (winning) had the ball pushing upcourt. Team B applying alot of pressure so I am watching the play. The gym is very noisy and I could hear a man yelling time out from Team A's area. Knowing the coach of Team A is female and there were no asst coaches I didn't acknowledge it. I also never looked to that area. If I would have I would have seen Team A's coach trying to request a TO.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1. Work free throw line to free throw line.

Rule 2. Don't work tableside.

Rule 3. Take much less from the coaches than you would with a partner.

Rule 4. Let them know you are going to have to prioritize things, i.e. 3 seconds ain't on the menu.

Rule 5. Work hard and do the best you can.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Rule 1. Work free throw line to free throw line.

Rule 2. Don't work tableside.

Rule 3. Take much less from the coaches than you would with a partner.

Rule 4. Let them know you are going to have to prioritize things, i.e. 3 seconds ain't on the menu.

Rule 5. Work hard and do the best you can.
Rule 6. Tell the coaches in the pre-game that you're going to be very busy, and you won't have time to talk.

Rule 7. When forced, sacrifice distance for angle.

Rule 8. You got nobody to get your back. Step up and take control.

I wrote an article on this a while ago. If you're interested, email me and I'll send you a copy.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

please do!!! [email protected]

Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I wrote an article on this a while ago. If you're interested, email me and I'll send you a copy.

Could you e-mail it to me also? Thanks.

[email protected]
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me.

I took the coaches aside before the game. I told them I would be solo. I told them they would get 110% out of me but that there were most likely going to be things that I missed. They were ok with that (I think they "you're gonna get 110% out of me" pacified them).

I then jokingly said "I've got two extra whistles for you guys, so when you see your own players fouling, please call it for me on them." I waited a second while they looked at me funny. Then I smiled, they got the joke and laughed. I thought that really eased the situation.

I dont know that I agree with the "dont work tableside" rule.

Several senior guys in my association who were instructing newbies like me say to work tableside if you are solo. Why? Because, according to them, then you are seeing what the coaches are seeing and are calling what they are seeing. Which leads to fewer complaints from the coaches. I fould that to be really helpful, but hard to implement 100% of the time. Sometimes I would go to mid court and then over to the other side. But I thought it was a good tip to work tableside as much as possible. I'd love to hear why people say not to work tableside.

Definately only work freethrow line to freethrow line when possible. Trail to trail, so to speak. On occasion I shot down to the baseline, but that was only on a break going the other way and I could get ahead of the play.

I knew I was missing some stuff underneath. I saw a shot go up and said, I know there was contact down there but I just couldnt see it to call it. I probably should have closed down lower as T to below the FT line but I didnt do that as much as I should have in retrospect. I noted that to myself for the "next time" it happens.

My partner showed up after the first quarter so it all worked out in the end

Clark
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

BackInTheSaddle-

Could you send that article to me, please? I think my email link is activated. Just send it there.

Thanks!!!

Clark
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by robinson31ir
I had two middle school games yesterday and my partner never showed...i called him...he says "they took me off the schedule, i dont have the game"...so, i called the assigner and i get his voicemail...now, i played college basketball and i kno the game but, this is my first year in the association...i prayed before the game and got myself focused. the girls game was great! its went smooth, the coaches behaved and i felt confident.

Before 2nd game the guys coach came over to conversate...seemed very nice, told me i looked really familiar and realized that i played college ball..told me congrads...seemed really cool..game started, first 3 quarters went smooth...but, throughout the whole game the coach that was "all in my face" before the game was the main one riding me all throughout the whole game...coming to me during every timeouts...asking me to watch for certain things...and i just kept my conposure and stay confident but, him and his assistant really were distracting me...and mind u, im the only one out there...the opposing team was waaaaayyyy more athletic and blew the team out anyway..i was wondering in the event that im put in this situation again...what should i do differently...i was really frustrated!
That conversation before the game is called, "Working the ref." The problem with it is that it works. Once he's told you what a great player you were, and how cool it is to have you here, he's in your head. You've lost before you started. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but to show you how to do it differently next time. As soon as he starts in on something different from the game at hand, you need to get busy with the book, a questionable uniform, or finding a game ball.

Then during the game, as others have said, you're too busy to talk. He can ask a question or two if he does it politely and at a dead ball. Otherwise, you've got more important things to worry about. You listen once, acknowledge (I heard you coach), listen again, then start into The Sequence. "I heard you, coach", "that's enough, coach", Stop Sign, Whack! This is for complaints and howliing. If it's just the standard coach stuff, ignore 90% of it. Acknowledge legitimate concerns, politely expressed.

Whatever you do, don't let him into your head. YOU are the ref, not him. I'm saying all this from hard experience. It's been the most difficult lesson for me to learn. Now that it's starting to gel for me, maybe I can help you learn it a little faster.