The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

it has been i few years since i have played basketball, and i went to my step isters game last night...middle school/highschool level. correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that when a basket is made, and the point is bringing the ball down, the other team cannot cross halfcourt. Then, at the end of the game there is a 2 minute rule where, to prevent a point guard, or anyone else from standing on the other side of halfcourt and dribbling for 2 minutes, the other team can cross over. I am sure that is how it was when I played. We had some very bad refs that i dont think they had ever watched a game of b-ball before. Please send a response quickly as I would like to take it up with the coach.
thanks, krystle
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 02:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by yzrider3
it has been i few years since i have played basketball, and i went to my step isters game last night...middle school/highschool level. correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that when a basket is made, and the point is bringing the ball down, the other team cannot cross halfcourt. Then, at the end of the game there is a 2 minute rule where, to prevent a point guard, or anyone else from standing on the other side of halfcourt and dribbling for 2 minutes, the other team can cross over.
yzrider3,
Sounds vaguely familiar from 40 years ago. (circa 1963)
Now, however, there are no such restrictions on playing defense in the back court, unless it is a local rule of some sort.
The 'very bad refs' you saw may not be old enough to remember the archaic rules of yesteryear.
mick
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

We have a rule of that sort for our 5/6 grade games! No press until last two minutes of game! Also, no zone defense! This would defeat the purpose, no one would learn anything! I feel it is a good rule and makes the games super easy to call!!

Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it has been i few years since i have played basketball, and i went to my step isters game last night...middle school/highschool level. correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that when a basket is made, and the point is bringing the ball down, the other team cannot cross halfcourt. Then, at the end of the game there is a 2 minute rule where, to prevent a point guard, or anyone else from standing on the other side of halfcourt and dribbling for 2 minutes, the other team can cross over. I am sure that is how it was when I played. We had some very bad refs that i dont think they had ever watched a game of b-ball before. Please send a response quickly as I would like to take it up with the coach.
thanks, krystle
Actually Krystle, I'm afraid that you're that has never watched a game before.

How can you criticize the officials, who will probably officiate 50 to 100 games this year, when you haven't even been to a game in years? There are no such rules. Perhaps you played in some rec league that had these types of rules but they do not exist in a regulation game of basketball.

My advice - better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Don't say anything to the coach. i'm quite sure that even he knows the rules better than you.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 03:56pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
thanks, krystle
Could be a local rule like mick said. However under NFHS, no such rule.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

here they come

They are starting to filter in. Playoffs are starting and pretty soon NCAA tourney will be starting.

Thanks Krystle for getting us all off to a good start.

As BBR said, maybe you should pick up the rule book and leave the coach and officials out of it.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

umm a little FYI...you dont need to jump up my A**. I assume that you assumed i am ancient? i am 19. it was 3 years ago that i played, highschool varsity i might add, and I played for 8 years straight. Maybee you should keep your mouth shut before you know the whole story. This is 7th/8th grade basket ball. the refs, and coaches are volunteers. tell me...when you are dribbling with your rite hand, switch to your left on a bounce, only one hand at a time on the ball, how is that double dribble? when you are in mid jump, shooting the ball, how can you possibly be pushing someone? these are just a few of the calls made. One of the refs was my age, and i doubt he has reffed even 20 games. Every other call, was different between the 2 refs. they would call a jump ball, then argue as to which side it would go to. you werent there, you did not see this game, so i suggest you shut your mouth. you are the fool. when i said i was ghoin to take it up with the coach, all i ment was I was going to ask him if he had been made aware of this rule. oh ya, another FYI, when I played bb ball in oregon, my High school won state 8 years in a row. I think WE had a fairly decent program. My intention was just to find out if the rule was still in effect. not have someone be a total jerk.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

the high school i attended? Crater Highschool.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
umm a little FYI...you dont need to jump up my A**. I assume that you assumed i am ancient? i am 19. it was 3 years ago that i played, highschool varsity i might add, and I played for 8 years straight. Maybee you should keep your mouth shut before you know the whole story. This is 7th/8th grade basket ball. the refs, and coaches are volunteers. tell me...when you are dribbling with your rite hand, switch to your left on a bounce, only one hand at a time on the ball, how is that double dribble? when you are in mid jump, shooting the ball, how can you possibly be pushing someone? these are just a few of the calls made. One of the refs was my age, and i doubt he has reffed even 20 games. Every other call, was different between the 2 refs. they would call a jump ball, then argue as to which side it would go to. you werent there, you did not see this game, so i suggest you shut your mouth. you are the fool. when i said i was ghoin to take it up with the coach, all i ment was I was going to ask him if he had been made aware of this rule. oh ya, another FYI, when I played bb ball in oregon, my High school won state 8 years in a row. I think WE had a fairly decent program. My intention was just to find out if the rule was still in effect. not have someone be a total jerk.
We do get a lot of people here are come to vent, and we do get kinda tired of it. That's why BBR jumped on you. Also, it appears that your rules were local, but you were assuming they were national rules. That also makes it sound as though you don't know what you were talking about.

Also, there is no high school girls program in "oregon" that has won state 8 years in a row. Oregon City HS has won 9 of the last 12, but not 8 in a row. If you played for OCHS, you'd know the rules better than this.

Just some things to think about.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Crater did not win state 8 years in a row, at least not since you've been alive!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did they teach any English at Crater High?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

for starters

If you did go to HS, I suggest that you give them a call and ask if it would be alright if you went back and repeated a few grades. Obviously they did not have a grammar or spelling class at this school.

Be careful what you ask for here. Especially since you are not an official and you are trying to act as though you know more than all of us put together. You may have just jumped off of the deep end. I hope you can swim.

There are people here that have been officiating at the highest levels since before your mommy and daddy even knew each other.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Crater did not win state 8 years in a row, at least not since you've been alive!
In fact, cruising through the OSAA archive pages, it appears as though Crater has made it to the state tournament about seven or eight years, came in second three times, and has never won state. That goes back to 1976 when OSAA began girls' ball.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker---tell me, where did I assume those were national rules? I was just simply asking if it was a rule or not. I wasnt venting. I was just asking a simple question that I thought you people would be able to answer. I have perfectly fine grammer and spelling, I just dont care about my grammer or spelling on a message board because you should be smart enough to understand what I am saying.

Redhouse---where did I say I knew more than you people? Why do you think I posted my question on here? Because I figured that someone on here would obviously know more than me, and they would be adult enough to simply answer it.

Apperantly the only Adult on this site is Mick.'
Anyone bother to explain the other calls I asked about?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In fact, cruising through the OSAA archive pages, it appears as though Crater has made it to the state tournament about seven or eight years, came in second three times, and has never won state. That goes back to 1976 when OSAA began girls' ball.
She didn't exactly say what they won state in for 8 years. Could have been the sportsmanship award, no? We know it could not have been the spelling bee...