The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

OK, my Bad, I thought they had won state while I was in elementry school and before that. They still went to state, so obviously we weren't that bad. So still...i dont see how i was venting or where I said anything about that rule being national
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yzrider3
Rainmaker---tell me, where did I assume those were national rules? I was just simply asking if it was a rule or not. I wasnt venting. I was just asking a simple question that I thought you people would be able to answer. I have perfectly fine grammer and spelling, I just dont care about my grammer or spelling on a message board because you should be smart enough to understand what I am saying.

Redhouse---where did I say I knew more than you people? Why do you think I posted my question on here? Because I figured that someone on here would obviously know more than me, and they would be adult enough to simply answer it.

Apperantly the only Adult on this site is Mick.'
Anyone bother to explain the other calls I asked about?
So when you were playing varsity ball for 8 years in the state championships, after your team made a basket, you weren't allowed to defend past the division line?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, my Bad, I thought they had won state while I was in elementry school and before that. They still went to state, so obviously we weren't that bad. So still...i dont see how i was venting or where I said anything about that rule being national
I dunno about Oregon, but in Connecticut, going to the state basketball tourney means nothing more than the fact that you had a .400 record - not necessarily a great team.

Next!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

dumbass i never said i was on varsity for 8 years, or that I went to state for 8 years. And no, after a basket was made, we were not allowed to come across the half ccourt line until the last 2 minutes of the game. wow, smitty understands what I am saying. good job..you got pass a few spelling errors too!!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
I dunno about Oregon, but in Connecticut, going to the state basketball tourney means nothing more than the fact that you had a .400 record - not necessarily a great team.

Next!
In Oregon, the top 16 teams in the state go to the tourney -- well, they used to. Starting last year, it's only the top 8. Which I think sucks.

But yzrider said they went to state 8 years, which they didn't. They only went six times. There were several times when they played in the play-offs but didn't make it to the tourney.

YZ, the reason I said you assumed they were national rules, is that you're asking the question on a national board. We do not address local rules here. You'd have to ask someone local about those.

I CAN tell you for certain that there is no such rule in Oregon at the high school level, and never has been. Your rule is probably a league rule that was for the middle school league you played in when you were that age. They've probably changed the rule since then, which is why your step sisters aren't using it.

As to the other calls, there's absolutely no way we can address them from there. It's almost impossible to say that another ref's call were right or wrong if we weren't there to see the actual play.

In general in middle school ball, you're going to get young officials who haven't learned all the nuances yet. The trick is to give them a chance to improve, just as you would give your step-sisters a chance to improve.

And furthermore, if you say that mick is the only adult on this site, remember, that also excludes you from adulthood.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
dumbass i never said i was on varsity for 8 years, or that I went to state for 8 years. And no, after a basket was made, we were not allowed to come across the half ccourt line until the last 2 minutes of the game. wow, smitty understands what I am saying. good job..you got pass a few spelling errors too!!!
Playing varsity at Crater High School you were not allowed to come across the division line until the last 2 minutes of the game?

Now, I know you're a TROLL. This is simply not true. And Smitty was being sarcastic...
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 06:34pm
In Memoriam

Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ok yzrider3...let's get off basketball rules for a minute...since we don't seem to be helping each other out much.

My son was walking by the puter and spotted your username.

He rides a YZ450F and a YZ250F and wants to know what kind of YZ you ride and if you have ever been to Washougal, WA for the MX races. He is 19 also, and tells me a lot of the young people type and spell like you do on a forum...he says relax, it's not an "English" forum.

Hmmmmm, he must get his attitude from his mother.

Richland, WA
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 07:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Playing varsity at Crater High School you were not allowed to come across the division line until the last 2 minutes of the game?

Now, I know you're a TROLL. This is simply not true. And Smitty was being sarcastic...
That is not necessarily a fact, Jewel.
One must allow for the fact that krystle, somebody's daughter, may have been coached that way and learned that way.
It doesn't make it right according to high school rules, but it does not, by itself, make it untrue.
Coaching methods and knowledge vary.
mick
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Next!
In Michigan, going to the state basketball tourney means nothing more than the fact that you had a high school team.

Next!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

One must allow for the fact that krystle, somebody's daughter, may have been coached that way and learned that way.
It doesn't make it right according to high school rules, but it does not, by itself, make it untrue.
mick
mick -- yea, I know. But her posts imply that she's talking about a rule, not just a coaching strategy.

Of course she's somebody's daughter. What did I say to imply that she wasn't?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

mick
mick -- yea, I know. But her posts imply that she's talking about a rule, not just a coaching strategy.

Of course she's somebody's daughter. What did I say to imply that she wasn't?
Okay, I see, calling her a troll. Why couldn't she be a troll daughter of a troll mother and troll father?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll address the points

Quote:
umm a little FYI...you dont need to jump up my A**. I assume that you assumed i am ancient? i am 19. it was 3 years ago that i played, highschool varsity i might add, and I played for 8 years straight. Maybee you should keep your mouth shut before you know the whole story. This is 7th/8th grade basket ball. the refs, and coaches are volunteers. tell me...when you are dribbling with your rite hand, switch to your left on a bounce, only one hand at a time on the ball, how is that double dribble? when you are in mid jump, shooting the ball, how can you possibly be pushing someone? these are just a few of the calls made. One of the refs was my age, and i doubt he has reffed even 20 games. Every other call, was different between the 2 refs. they would call a jump ball, then argue as to which side it would go to. you werent there, you did not see this game, so i suggest you shut your mouth. you are the fool. when i said i was ghoin to take it up with the coach, all i ment was I was going to ask him if he had been made aware of this rule. oh ya, another FYI, when I played bb ball in oregon, my High school won state 8 years in a row. I think WE had a fairly decent program. My intention was just to find out if the rule was still in effect. not have someone be a total jerk.
I'm pretty confident that there is no high school varsity anywhere in the US that has this no press rule. Also, the 10 second rule would prevent the dribbler from staying in the backcourt for 2 minutes. I'm sure you saw some playing time, but it's obvious you didn't really focus on the rules at the time. I've never seen a no-press rule at any level above 7th grade; and I've never seen it in any game sanctioned by a scholastic body (school sponsored stuff) at any level. Not to say it doesn't happen in some middle school leagues somewhere, but I'd bet money it doesn't happen in a varsity games.
Now, as for the other two calls you've got.
Dribbler very likely "carried" the ball between dribbles, or that's what the ref thought. You don't have to have two hands on a ball to end your dribble.
As for the shooter, I'd be willing to bet that she pushed off before she jumped, and the ref's whistle was a tad bit late. Did she push before she caught it?
Bottom line, the calls you complain about are easily explained without having seen them. Could they have missed them? Sure. You know what? It's a middle school game. That's where you get your 19 year old refs. He's got to get his first 20 games somewhere.
Now, what do you think the odds are that someone who actually has the guts to grab a whistle and referee a basketball game has seen less basketball than you have? Honestly.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i am 19. it was 3 years ago that i played, highschool varsity i might add, and I played for 8 years straight.
So you played varsity basketball in high school for 8 years. It's a damn shame you didn't learn capitalization, punctuation, and sentence struture during those 8 years.

Bottom line - no high school in America plays under such rules. You must be thinking about your years in pee wee ball, unless you played at a very piss ant HS.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

OK well, like I said i was just asking so thankyou for all of your wonderful opinions. rainmaker...thankyou for being civil on this last page...it was much better.

back to mx...
I ride a 2005 yz125. yes i have been to washougal, my b/f and i went there last year for amateur days. i rode women c and had podium in my sight, but due to impatience, i went down in those dang whoops. and thanks for bringing up the spelling. perhaps we shall take conversation else where before we get yelled at for this not being an mx forum. oh yes...i remember y i quit team sports...because they all suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!