The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

HS Rules-
1. Team A receives ball after AP. While Team A is throwing in ball, Team B intercepts throw in. Arrow stays with Team A for the next AP?

2. Team A receives ball after AP with 1 or 2 seconds left in Period. To keep posession for the start of the next period, they either a) pass it directly to Team B-see above- b) throw it out of bounds with no one touching it or c) Fumble it out of bounds with out having possession at a more desirable place on the court. Would they receive the Ball Back to start the next period in all of these cases?

Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by sjhoops
HS Rules-
1. Team A receives ball after AP. While Team A is throwing in ball, Team B intercepts throw in. Arrow stays with Team A for the next AP?

2. Team A receives ball after AP with 1 or 2 seconds left in Period. To keep posession for the start of the next period, they either a) pass it directly to Team B-see above- b) throw it out of bounds with no one touching it or c) Fumble it out of bounds with out having possession at a more desirable place on the court. Would they receive the Ball Back to start the next period in all of these cases?

1. No. Once B has touched the inbounding pass, the throw-in has completed, and the arrow shall be reversed in direction.

2. In (a), B gets the arrow to start the next quarter. In (b), a throw-in violation has occurred. This act also reverses the arrow. B will throw-in as a result of A's violation. B gets the arrow to start the next quarter, as the arrow was reversed. In (c), I assume you mean that A touches the ball, but never obtain player (and therefore team) possession. A's touching also ends the AP throw-in, and the arrow shall be reversed, which gives B the throw-in to start the next quarter.

So, pretty much, A gets nothing!

To B or not to B? In these cases, to B: they get the ball to start the next quarter.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. No, the arrow changes when the throwin ends or when the throw-in team violates. The arrow gives you the throw-in, nothing more. The throwin ends when the ball is legally touched in bounds.

2. a) no, see #1. b) no, violating on the throw in does not save the arrow. c) the throw in ends when the player legally touched the ball in bounds.

The only way to keep the arrow is for the defensive team to violate (such as a kick), or for either team to foul. So, if the arrow is that important to you, and you want to preserve it for the next quarter; you could commit an offensive foul before the throw-in ends and hope the refs and the scorers are aware of this quirk.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I was hoping for these replies. I was told by an IAABO Official that the throw in had to be successful to change the arrow thus penalizing for good defense.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb

Welcome to the forum, sj.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, I was hoping for these replies. I was told by an IAABO Official that the throw in had to be successful to change the arrow thus penalizing for good defense.
The throw-in has to successfully END or a violation has to occur.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 01:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
IAABO officials have a lot of funny ideas. "Cones of Verticalities". "Blarges do not exist in a temporal universe". It's always best to try and humor them a little though. Shake your head "yes" while slowly backing away-- then run for your life. You do not want to make them angry. If that happens, they'll try to crush you under 10 tons of verbiage.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:15am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
IAABO officials have a lot of funny ideas. "Cones of Verticalities". "Blarges do not exist in a temporal universe". It's always best to try and humor them a little though. Shake your head "yes" while slowly backing away-- then run for your life. You do not want to make them angry. If that happens, they'll try to crush you under 10 tons of verbiage.

JR:

Your response is not only misleading but it sounds like it was written by an immature high school sophomore.

IAABO believes in one rule-one interpretation and that is the rule or interpretation of the rules being used for a given competition whether it is NFHS, NCAA, NBA/WNBA, or FIBA. IABBO is a professional organization for all basketball officials and any registered basketball official in the world can be a member of IAABO. One does not have to reside in a state or province that requires its officials to be members of IAABO to be a member of IAABO. It should be noted that one of the current members of the NFHS Rules Committee is an IAABO State Rules Interpreter and over the last ten years there have been two other members of the NFHS Rules Committee that are IABBO members, most recently, Howard Mayo and Peter Webb. And if there is any one person in the United States or Canada that knows the NFHS Rules anybody else it is Peter Webb, is also the State Rules Interpreter for the Maine Principals Association (the StateHSAA for Maine) as well as the IAABO State Interpreter for Maine. If you really want the correct NFHS interpretation then Peter is the person to go to not because he is an IAABO official because no one in the United States or Canada has the accumulated knowledge of the history of the NFHS rules that Peter has.

As a member of four national IAABO committees, I am appalled that an IAABO member official would give such an incorrect ruling. But I would also be appalled if a OhioHSAA, MichiganHSAA, FloridaHSAA, registered basketball official or any other NFHS StateHSAA registered basketball official, whether he is or is not a member of IABBO would have given the same incorrect ruling.

Your further comments about “cones of verticality” and your ignorant statements about IAABO members reveal the fact that you would rather make stupid comments rather that make a meaningful contribution to the discussion.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mark, just a suggestion: "decaf"!!

(Bear in mind I'm an IAABO guy, too!)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:55am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[B

JR:

Your response is not only misleading but it sounds like it was written by an immature high school sophomore.

IAABO believes in one rule-one interpretation and that is the rule or interpretation of the rules being used for a given competition whether it is NFHS, NCAA, NBA/WNBA, or FIBA. IABBO is a professional organization for all basketball officials and any registered basketball official in the world can be a member of IAABO. One does not have to reside in a state or province that requires its officials to be members of IAABO to be a member of IAABO. It should be noted that one of the current members of the NFHS Rules Committee is an IAABO State Rules Interpreter and over the last ten years there have been two other members of the NFHS Rules Committee that are IABBO members, most recently, Howard Mayo and Peter Webb. And if there is any one person in the United States or Canada that knows the NFHS Rules anybody else it is Peter Webb, is also the State Rules Interpreter for the Maine Principals Association (the StateHSAA for Maine) as well as the IAABO State Interpreter for Maine. If you really want the correct NFHS interpretation then Peter is the person to go to not because he is an IAABO official because no one in the United States or Canada has the accumulated knowledge of the history of the NFHS rules that Peter has.

As a member of four national IAABO committees, I am appalled that an IAABO member official would give such an incorrect ruling. But I would also be appalled if a OhioHSAA, MichiganHSAA, FloridaHSAA, registered basketball official or any other NFHS StateHSAA registered basketball official, whether he is or is not a member of IABBO would have given the same incorrect ruling.

Your further comments about “cones of verticality” and your ignorant statements about IAABO members reveal the fact that you would rather make stupid comments rather that make a meaningful contribution to the discussion.

MTD, Sr. [/B]

I think this would qualify as "tons of verbiage"!!!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
[B

JR:

MTD, Sr.

I think this would qualify as "tons of verbiage"!!! [/B]
I think this is very restrained, for Mark.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

JR:

MTD, Sr.
I am appalled at your complete lack of a sense of humor. Do you know whatinthehell a "smiley" is and what it means when it's attached to a post? Note that I'm appalled, but I'm not surprised.

Also, btw, I do not have a damn thing against IAABO. I was a member of that organization for many years before you even thought of becoming a basketball official. It was and is a fine organization, but contrary to the impression that you try to leave, it does not have now and never has had any official rules interpretive powers--unless in the very few instances where it also happens to be the designated state governing body for the sport.Iow, IAABO rules interpretations basically mean squat to about 90% of the country. They are simply not valid.

Btw, why would you be so appalled at an fellow IAABO member for giving out an incorrect ruling? You've been doing it for years. The "cone of verticality" and "no such thing as a blarge" are just the latest examples of some of your weird interpretations.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
no butter on mine, please!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

AP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. [/B]
Personally, I know Peter Webb and Jackie Loube, but I don't know Jurassic Referee. I do know that all three of these men share an intense passion and love for the game of basketball.