The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Tonight I had 2 Jr. High games, at my home school. The girls team played first, and everything was fine. The second game (boys) all hell broke loose. The girls coach was sitting down there and complaining about EVERY SINGLE call, finally I went tell her "Coach, I've heard enough." Well then her girls started from the blechers, I told her to tell them to hush their mouths, and the still kept on. It was 2 mins left of the game, so we decided not to clear them out. They were hollaring very voger (sp) things, and I wish I would have got them out of there. Is there anything I can do? My partner is not in my assoication, but my school asked me to do it so I did it. Can I file a report on this? Any help?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Tonight I had 2 Jr. High games, at my home school. The girls team played first, and everything was fine. The second game (boys) all hell broke loose. The girls coach was sitting down there and complaining about EVERY SINGLE call, finally I went tell her "Coach, I've heard enough." Well then her girls started from the blechers, I told her to tell them to hush their mouths, and the still kept on. It was 2 mins left of the game, so we decided not to clear them out. They were hollaring very voger (sp) things, and I wish I would have got them out of there. Is there anything I can do? My partner is not in my assoication, but my school asked me to do it so I did it. Can I file a report on this? Any help?
I would file a report. You could have issued a technical, however, that probably wouldn't have helped. Probably the best thing would have been to notify game management. Why subject yourself to vulgarity for even two minutes. Throw them out and play on!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Find the principal or AD and tell them what problem you're having.

And I would definitely file a report with whoever has jurisdiction.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 10:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Don't put up with it. Deal with her early, and her players won't follow her lead. You said she started right away. Stop it quick. Then, when her girls start in, let game management know immediately if they're getting vulgar.
As for now, I'd let the school's AD know about it. Was this the home coach? Her behavior and her subsequent acceptance of her players' behavior is not acceptable. She shouldn't be coaching.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Not trying to nit pick. But make sure when you tell the coach you've heard enough, you also tell him with a stop sign. That way everyone knows. I agree with BktBallRef, find the game admin and talk with them about the problem you are having. They'll take care of it and if they don't, then you take care of it.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Was the girls coach sitting on the bench in the boys game? If so, you could have had the boys coach deal with her also. I personally would have gotten the AD to deal with her.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Don't put up with it. Deal with her early, and her players won't follow her lead. You said she started right away. Stop it quick. Then, when her girls start in, let game management know immediately if they're getting vulgar.
As for now, I'd let the school's AD know about it. Was this the home coach? Her behavior and her subsequent acceptance of her players' behavior is not acceptable. She shouldn't be coaching.
This was not the home coach, it was the visisting coach.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

She should know better but if not then you can teach her by having game mgmt hush her.

You can also catch the boys coach coming out of a time out or dead ball situation and let him know to shush her.

Since you know for sure she is the girls coach, go to her and help her understand that in the name of sportsmanship she should chill out and for her girls also.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Had about the same thing only with a fan of a visiting GF team. They started in early not to bad but got worse within 1st quarter. OOB on fan sideline late 2nd q and 1 fan decided to take the opportunity to get nasty, I snapped on him, not my usual response but I'd had enough. I asked him loud enough for the whole gym to hear "do you want to stay". asked him twice with no response and told him keep it up and he'd be watching the game from the parking lot. 2nd half was the best half of BB I'd had all year-neither side had a thing to say. Game management was very happy. Turns out the loudmouth was a circuit court judge in our county. Not that I make a habit of going to court but if I do, yikes!!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdpeo
Had about the same thing only with a fan of a visiting GF team. They started in early not to bad but got worse within 1st quarter. OOB on fan sideline late 2nd q and 1 fan decided to take the opportunity to get nasty, I snapped on him, not my usual response but I'd had enough. I asked him loud enough for the whole gym to hear "do you want to stay". asked him twice with no response and told him keep it up and he'd be watching the game from the parking lot. 2nd half was the best half of BB I'd had all year-neither side had a thing to say. Game management was very happy. Turns out the loudmouth was a circuit court judge in our county. Not that I make a habit of going to court but if I do, yikes!!!
I know you were tired of hearing him, and did before you thought, but that is one of the reasons we're told not to communicate with the fans. Never know who that person might be.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdpeo
You could have said; "Your Honor, do you want to stay?"

I wonder if he incorporated that in his courtroom the next day.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree -I rarely rely on dealing with fans myself and I don't know why I did this time - I just feel that its out of hand on most levels but particularly JH and JV -I don't know what it is about those fans but they are bad and don't even mention the catholic league - wow!!!
anyway I will bite my tongue next time and use GM to control the crowd!!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 05:29pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I always let the game management know if I'm having a problem with a fan. Usually that takes care of it. Although, I did have a game management person come up and criticize me and my partner after a game. I told him that he's game management and needed to keep those comments to himself. He kept going on and I asked if he had a backup person, and he asked why? I told him, if there's a backup person, consider yourself gone! Of course, this was a kid's league, at a small Catholic school and he was the only one in charge. So, partner and I told him to walk away and we called the assignor. Assignor told us if the game manager came up to us during the last 2 games and did the same stuff, just to walk out of there and leave them empty handed.