The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

I worked some rec basketball last night, filling in for a friend. I arrive and see my partner is also a woman, and a fellow softball umpire. I'm happy because I know her well, and because she is a GREAT official. (which is why I haven't seen her since the season started - she works too good of games for me) So I'm expecting a good time.

Then we get to the last game of the night. 6th grade boys, and it's a pretty good game. With 20 seconds left, Team A is down 2 and drives down the court to try to even the score, but the ballhandler is pressured by two defenders and dribbles the ball off his knee. I had a perfect view of that play, so I was quite confident in my call, but Team A wasn't happy. They call a timeout, which I grant.

An assistant coach then gathers all his players around him and faces the stands and said in a loud voice "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. But that's what happens when you have two women doing a man's job."

BAM! Flagrant technical from me.

Sara
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I worked some rec basketball last night, filling in for a friend. I arrive and see my partner is also a woman, and a fellow softball umpire. I'm happy because I know her well, and because she is a GREAT official. (which is why I haven't seen her since the season started - she works too good of games for me) So I'm expecting a good time.

Then we get to the last game of the night. 6th grade boys, and it's a pretty good game. With 20 seconds left, Team A is down 2 and drives down the court to try to even the score, but the ballhandler is pressured by two defenders and dribbles the ball off his knee. I had a perfect view of that play, so I was quite confident in my call, but Team A wasn't happy. They call a timeout, which I grant.

An assistant coach then gathers all his players around him and faces the stands and said in a loud voice "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. But that's what happens when you have two women doing a man's job."

Jerk, them coaches like giving you a hard time dont they? Dont feel bad, I get a hard time too from being young. Just dont let them get to you, and keep up the good work.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 07:01pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Automatic, Sara. Should be anyway. Good job. I hope you wrote that one up too. Deserves a suspension.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 07:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

As an additional penalty, this guy should be locked in a small closet for 24 hours with Richard Simmons.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Sara,
Which did he resemble most?

mick
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Attaboy!

Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by SF

Attaboy!

I think it should be attagirl!!

Sara, excellent job, that guy deserved to have his *** thrown out. Just remember when talking about handing out T's we use the term WHACK!!!!!!
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Sara,
Which did he resemble most?

mick
Hey, Dan had all of those. Took a whole bunch of pharmaceuticals to get rid of the little bug-gers too.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
I also hoped you filed a detailed and extensive game report.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyGonGoalie
I don't think it would need that extensive of a report. If I were Sara, all I'd right on the game sheet and to my assignor would be, the assistant coach said, "..." and I assessed a flagerant unporting technical foul.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
Actually, that's probably sufficent. My bad.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 10:05pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyGonGoalie
SpeedyGonGoalie,
Yes. My report would have more than several sentences.
mick
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

It was probably good for him that he got ejected. Every woman in that gym was ready to kick his a$$.

The sportsmanship committee is going to be handing down some sort of punishment, which I will be finding out tomorrow. I'm hoping it's a good stiff penalty.

Sara
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SF

I hope Team A lost. Then you could say, as you gather the players around you, "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. That's what happens when you hire a man to do a girl's job!"

Okay, you'd probably never say it. But you can think it!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
PS Bam is okay to use when talking about T's. It was BANG that we discarded. It just didn't feel okay to talk about "Banging coaches."