The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sexist Coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18411-sexist-coach.html)

SF Fri Feb 11, 2005 06:52pm

I worked some rec basketball last night, filling in for a friend. I arrive and see my partner is also a woman, and a fellow softball umpire. I'm happy because I know her well, and because she is a GREAT official. (which is why I haven't seen her since the season started - she works too good of games for me) So I'm expecting a good time.

Then we get to the last game of the night. 6th grade boys, and it's a pretty good game. With 20 seconds left, Team A is down 2 and drives down the court to try to even the score, but the ballhandler is pressured by two defenders and dribbles the ball off his knee. I had a perfect view of that play, so I was quite confident in my call, but Team A wasn't happy. They call a timeout, which I grant.

An assistant coach then gathers all his players around him and faces the stands and said in a loud voice "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. But that's what happens when you have two women doing a man's job."

BAM! Flagrant technical from me.

brandan89 Fri Feb 11, 2005 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SF
I worked some rec basketball last night, filling in for a friend. I arrive and see my partner is also a woman, and a fellow softball umpire. I'm happy because I know her well, and because she is a GREAT official. (which is why I haven't seen her since the season started - she works too good of games for me) So I'm expecting a good time.

Then we get to the last game of the night. 6th grade boys, and it's a pretty good game. With 20 seconds left, Team A is down 2 and drives down the court to try to even the score, but the ballhandler is pressured by two defenders and dribbles the ball off his knee. I had a perfect view of that play, so I was quite confident in my call, but Team A wasn't happy. They call a timeout, which I grant.

An assistant coach then gathers all his players around him and faces the stands and said in a loud voice "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. But that's what happens when you have two women doing a man's job."

Jerk, them coaches like giving you a hard time dont they? Dont feel bad, I get a hard time too from being young. Just dont let them get to you, and keep up the good work.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 11, 2005 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SF

Automatic, Sara. Should be anyway. Good job. I hope you wrote that one up too. Deserves a suspension.

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 11, 2005 07:42pm

As an additional penalty, this guy should be locked in a small closet for 24 hours with Richard Simmons.

mick Fri Feb 11, 2005 08:06pm

Sara,
Which did he resemble most?

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/gifs/roacha.gif

mick

Dan_ref Fri Feb 11, 2005 08:27pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks for the replies

Quote:

Originally posted by SF

Attaboy!

:D

ref18 Fri Feb 11, 2005 08:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: thanks for the replies

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by SF

Attaboy!

:D

I think it should be attagirl!! ;)

Sara, excellent job, that guy deserved to have his *** thrown out. Just remember when talking about handing out T's we use the term WHACK!!!!!! :D:D:D

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

Sara,
Which did he resemble most?

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/gifs/roacha.gif

mick

Hey, Dan had <b>all</b> of those. Took a whole bunch of pharmaceuticals to get rid of the little bug-gers too.

SpeedyGonGoalie Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:34pm

I also hoped you filed a detailed and extensive game report.

ref18 Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SpeedyGonGoalie
I don't think it would need that extensive of a report. If I were Sara, all I'd right on the game sheet and to my assignor would be, the assistant coach said, "..." and I assessed a flagerant unporting technical foul.

SpeedyGonGoalie Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:02pm

Actually, that's probably sufficent. My bad.

mick Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SpeedyGonGoalie
SpeedyGonGoalie,
Yes. My report would have more than several sentences.
mick

SF Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:24pm

It was probably good for him that he got ejected. Every woman in that gym was ready to kick his a$$.

The sportsmanship committee is going to be handing down some sort of punishment, which I will be finding out tomorrow. I'm hoping it's a good stiff penalty.

rainmaker Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by SF

I hope Team A lost. Then you could say, as you gather the players around you, "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. That's what happens when you hire a man to do a girl's job!"

Okay, you'd probably never say it. But you can think it!

rainmaker Sat Feb 12, 2005 01:09am

PS Bam is okay to use when talking about T's. It was BANG that we discarded. It just didn't feel okay to talk about "Banging coaches."