Thread: Sexist Coach
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I worked some rec basketball last night, filling in for a friend. I arrive and see my partner is also a woman, and a fellow softball umpire. I'm happy because I know her well, and because she is a GREAT official. (which is why I haven't seen her since the season started - she works too good of games for me) So I'm expecting a good time.

Then we get to the last game of the night. 6th grade boys, and it's a pretty good game. With 20 seconds left, Team A is down 2 and drives down the court to try to even the score, but the ballhandler is pressured by two defenders and dribbles the ball off his knee. I had a perfect view of that play, so I was quite confident in my call, but Team A wasn't happy. They call a timeout, which I grant.

An assistant coach then gathers all his players around him and faces the stands and said in a loud voice "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. But that's what happens when you have two women doing a man's job."

BAM! Flagrant technical from me.
I hope Team A lost. Then you could say, as you gather the players around you, "Parents, players, I'm sorry you had to lose this game. That's what happens when you hire a man to do a girl's job!"

Okay, you'd probably never say it. But you can think it!