The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

I don't really have a clear understanding of the path behind the free-throw shooter. High School Rules please.

When a player is shooting a free throw, the lane/paint is supposed to extend thru him behind him past the 3-point arch, correct? So essentially, a player walking behind the free-throw shooter (even though outside the 3-point arch) has committed a violation.

First, let me know if my understanding of that idea is correct.

Second, what type of violation is it? Something in the back of my head recalls it may even be as extreme as a technical foul, but that seems a bit excessive. Perhaps if positioned behind the shooter and talking or something along those lines being construed as taunting being what I'm thinking?

Third, if the idea is correct, how far back does the imaginary extension of the paint go? 2 feet? 3 feet? halfcourt?

I was telling a player the concept of the rule and he asked how far back was far enough. I gave him a spot about 3 feet behind (why he would want such a disadvantageous of a positon, who knows?). Would like to give him the right (or maybe I was haha) answer next time

Thanks
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:02am
I got a Basketball Jones!

The restrictions that come into effect once the ball is 'at the disposal of the shooter' are as follows:
Players in marked lane spaces may not enter the lane until the ball touches the rim. Other players must remain behind the area delineated by the FT line extended and the 3 point arc. There is no provision that extends the painted 3 second lane. Where did you ever dream up this nugget???
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

bradford,
You're not correct. The opponent must either be in a marked lane space along the side of the lane or behind the FT line extended and behind the 3pt line.

Therefore, standing outside the FT semicircle directly behind the FT shooter is perfectly legal.

It is still illegal to disconcert the FT shooter in some way from that position.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Got it thanks... no idea where I pulled that idea from my ***... oh wait I answered my own query... must've came from my *** haha
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Remember - it's the FT line extended, not the lane lines extended.

Perhaps that's the source of your confusion?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

"Remember - it's the FT line extended, not the lane lines extended."

Can you clarify what this means for me?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
The restrictions that come into effect once the ball is 'at the disposal of the shooter' are as follows:
Players in marked lane spaces may not enter the lane until the ball touches the rim.
Rim or BACKBOARD.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Lane Lines" are the two lines that players stand adjacent to when in a freethrow situation. These 2 lines are perpendicular to the base or end line. "Freethrow line" runs parallel to the end line.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
"Remember - it's the FT line extended, not the lane lines extended."

Can you clarify what this means for me?
Players not in lane spaces must stay outside the three point arc, but above the free throw line extended. I had a girl a couple of years ago drop down along the arc to the baseline to try to get the rebound. It took three times before the offense missed the shot.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
Players in marked lane spaces may not enter the lane until the ball touches the rim.
Rim or BACKBOARD.
Excellent point RecRef, I cringe everytime I either watch or work a game where the ball hits the backboard and beofre it hits the rim the players move and one of the officials or my P calls a violation. It's made some interesting half-time/post game chats over the years.