View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

I don't really have a clear understanding of the path behind the free-throw shooter. High School Rules please.

When a player is shooting a free throw, the lane/paint is supposed to extend thru him behind him past the 3-point arch, correct? So essentially, a player walking behind the free-throw shooter (even though outside the 3-point arch) has committed a violation.

First, let me know if my understanding of that idea is correct.

Second, what type of violation is it? Something in the back of my head recalls it may even be as extreme as a technical foul, but that seems a bit excessive. Perhaps if positioned behind the shooter and talking or something along those lines being construed as taunting being what I'm thinking?

Third, if the idea is correct, how far back does the imaginary extension of the paint go? 2 feet? 3 feet? halfcourt?

I was telling a player the concept of the rule and he asked how far back was far enough. I gave him a spot about 3 feet behind (why he would want such a disadvantageous of a positon, who knows?). Would like to give him the right (or maybe I was haha) answer next time

Thanks