The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

If 10.4.1 is in the rule book and refers to the head coaches conduct and his responsibilities regarding the conduct of bench personnel, why then is coach conduct such an issue? About a third of our topics address coaches actions in the subject line and many threads eventually get around to something a coach said.

Now most of us are having the calling official go tableside when using 3 man mechanics so we can have a "sensible" conversation with the coach rather than having him yell at us across the court. I would rather have the opportunity to discuss with the coach but this rule states that coach cannot:
a. Disrespectfully address an official.
b. Attempt to influence an official's decision.
e. Objecting to an official's decision by rising from the bench or using gestures.

IMO, this needs to be driven home as a P.O.E. and I mean really driven home. I'm not speaking because I'm bitter at any coach, and I usually don't have much of a problem with them because I communicate thru out. I just think we've gotten so far from this rule that coaches need to be reeled back in. They really don't know what's protocall here.

Any thoughts here?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

You're right about the problem. The rule is 10-4-1 (with dashes, not dots).

The reason that many places don't enforce it strictly is that the coaches have a great deal of say in who works the games. Some even pick the playoff officials.

Tough to bite the hand that feeds you.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/18203
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Oh, and some states allow coaches to delete officials who give them Ts. Now who would that be? ....Hmmmmm....
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Aaaahhh coaches

A couple of weeks back, I showed up early to watch the JV game. Only one official was present so I got to work the JV game. I T-ed the JV coach in the first quarter for screaming and hollering and animated theatrics. Rest of game went quite well. Varsity game went quite well.

Next week I get black-balled by the varsity coach. Go figure.

Childish putzes. "I don't want to participate according to the rules. And if you don't let me do whatever I want to do, I'll black-ball you and give you a low rating so you won't do anybody's games let alone mine."

Lovely system.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Coaches give us a ranking for V games and I understand a T could/will affect that evaluation but I think after the fact that most coaches are level headed and realize they were out of line and that by rule, the ref did the right thing.
Example: Just last night, VVG coach said something really inappropriate to me that only his asst and I heard, I chose not to T and at the next dead ball I addressed it and he was a kitten the rest of the game. After the game, he was waiting and offered me the most sincere apology and said he probably learned his lesson from how I handled better then if I'd have T'd and he committed to never treat another ref like that again.
I feel that if the Fed made this a big issue, coaches will chill out and associations will be able to better control referee attrition. The shortage of officials needs to be addressed by all; NatFed, local associations, AD's, coaches, etc.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:30am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Coaches give us a ranking for V games and I understand a T could/will affect that evaluation but I think after the fact that most coaches are level headed and realize they were out of line and that by rule, the ref did the right thing.
Example: Just last night, VVG coach said something really inappropriate to me that only his asst and I heard, I chose not to T and at the next dead ball I addressed it and he was a kitten the rest of the game. After the game, he was waiting and offered me the most sincere apology and said he probably learned his lesson from how I handled better then if I'd have T'd and he committed to never treat another ref like that again.
I feel that if the Fed made this a big issue, coaches will chill out and associations will be able to better control referee attrition. The shortage of officials needs to be addressed by all; NatFed, local associations, AD's, coaches, etc.

The NFHS can make the issue huge, but as long as there are states like Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana, where the coaches decide who officiates both regular seasona and tournament games it will not matter how many times it is a Poing of Emphasis by the NFHS. You will have coaches black balling officials for doing their job correctly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

The NFHS can make the issue huge, but as long as there are states like Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana, where the coaches decide who officiates both regular seasona and tournament games it will not matter how many times it is a Poing of Emphasis by the NFHS. You will have coaches black balling officials for doing their job correctly.

MTD, Sr.
EXACTLY!